What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magazine cover editorial Illustration Jobs

lazym13

Hey guys,

As an artist that is inspired by portraiture work, I wanted to ask how do I approach going into this kind of field as there is no set full-time job for it.
I understand that building a portfolio for myself and online is good for exposure. Do I go to companies with my portfolio as an expression of interest? Even though they may not have those sorts of jobs.

Thanks

SMOk3

Power User
I'm not sure how you would approach this, but having a portfolio and maybe a site to exhibit your work would certainley be a good start.

When you say "Do I go to companies with my portfolio as an expression of interest? Even though they may not have those sorts of jobs."
are you wanting employment from them or Freelance work?

lazym13

I'm wanting employment from them but unsure if there is that specific type of job title in their company. I'm also open to freelance too but would love a full time job for sustainability.

SMOk3

Power User
Are you a digital artist or paint by hand?

I've just done a quick search and there seems plenty of Freelance work for digital

lazym13

i'm a digital artist.

Oh cool! Were these freelance work in the magazine cover industry? If so which location are these job vacancies?

lazym13

Also to clarify, this is what I like doing

Attachments

• 1012675_634241509937616_573309087_n.jpg
    1012675_634241509937616_573309087_n.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 6
  • poy-cover-final.jpg
    poy-cover-final.jpg
    938.6 KB · Views: 6

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello, sorry to be so late to this thread, but I've been pressed for time lately.

There's certainly nothing wrong with having an interest in a certain genre, but by specializing, you are limiting your own marketability. As you have already described, and pardon the intended pun, you will digitally paint yourself into a corner. Stylized digital art in the commercial realm is constantly changing. Digital oil painting like you have shown in your examples is not in that high of demand in the commercial market. And to make matters worse, with the availability of plugins and actions that mimic oil on canvas, these digital "oil paintings" can be done by almost anyone familiar with Photoshop. The skill is limited and serves as only one tool in your bag of tricks. If working in a commercial digital graphic capacity, you will be much more employable if you have a diverse variety of skills.

If you do not intend on learning additional skills, you would be much better off in the private sector. Start yourself a website for your style of digital painting for family style portraiture work. This can be very lucrative.