What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make fireplace grout pattern dark.

Rich54

Guru
Nice job @IamSam. Can you explain what you did? I tried this one myself, but didn't post it. Mine came out ok, but yours is much cleaner and more consistent.

Here's what I did:
  • Fill the entire shape of the tiled wall with black.
  • Apply Blend-If to allow the black to appear only if the underlying layer is lighter than about 42. (The existing charcoal-gray tiles have an RGB value of approx. 40,40,40. With Blend-If set at 42, anything lighter than 42,42,42, such as the grout, will be darkened by my black layer, but the tiles themselves remain unaffected.)
  • Mask away the fireplace grill and the ceiling fan.
There is a lot of JPEG noise surrounding the grout lines, which I didn't attempt to clean up. That noise affected the quality of my method.

Rich, I'm so sorry! I thought I had replied to your question, but somehow it got lost in the transition!!

I actually cheated this effect by recreating the bg and pattern and then masking.
For the pattern, I matched one "cell", duplicated them over and over and moved until I had them all filled in. Took less than a minute.
Once the pattern was full, I then recreated the bg by matching the color and gradient.
Then I masked using the Pen Tool.

The one thing I would do differently if I had to do over again, is that I would have made the first cell of the pattern a smart object before copying. This way, I could have added slight effects to all!

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 12.07.46 AM.png

Rich, I'm so sorry! I thought I had replied to your question, but somehow it got lost in the transition!!

I thought you didn't like me anymore :).

I figured you must have done something like recreating the pattern. Yours was so clean and perfect and had none of the JPEG noise.

Thanks

Back