What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making Circles look like circles

JHV

I should know better, but I am suffering from serious brain fade.
I made a circluar selection , filled it with color (black), contracted the selection to knock out the center (going for the "donut look"). My problem is that the circle doesn't have roundness. it's kind of like a "sorta round"circle. I think there's a setting that I'm missing to smooth out the circle, but for the life of me, I'm missing it.

theKeeper

Guru
Nope, no setting for that,... Photoshop just sucks where perfect circles are concerned.

Try this instead... create your circle selection, then simply Stroke it the pixel width you'd like. You have 2 methods of Stroking a selection; one is permanent, the other editable.

1) Under the EDIT menu choose Stroke... Apply the pixel width you want, but eave the other settings default.

2) Using the Stroke Style within the Layer Styles dialog window. Double-click the layer, then click on the Stroke filter at the bottom. Change the settings to your needs.

Oh and actually... there's a 3rd option here... using the Vector Shapes tool to create a preset circle outline. Press the 'U' key. Then from the Options Bar along the top of your screen, click on the blob looking image (custom shapes). To the right of that image you'll see the word "Shapes". Clcick that. When the library window opens, click the small arrow at top-right. Within that list choose "Shapes". There should be a circle outline shape already made up.

If you're not sure about using the Vector Shapes/tools, i'd suggest reading through the HELP! files to get more familiar with them. There are several little things that need to be addressed/changed when using this tool.

wbiss

Guru
Welcome to the forum JHV! :)

Mark has given you a few good options to achieve the results that you are looking for, so good luck! ;)

Stroker

Power User
You could use Polar Coords if you really want to.

I could have sworn that there was a way to do this with keys (ctrl, alt, shift). You know, ChOps on-the-fly. But I can't seem to it figure out by dragging from the center. Hmm...

My prefered method:
Drag outside circle.
Save in Alpha Channel.
Go to Alpha Channel.
Drag inside circle.
Fill with black.
Start new Layer.
Load the Alpha.
Fill.

sPECtre

Guru
Welcome to PSG, JHV! (it sounds like a secret language)!

JHV

Thanks to all

Thank you to everyone. I could have sworn that there was a "smoothing" combo that I was missing. I guess it WAS alpha channels and lighting, but I am probably confusing myself with PS and Illustrator where you actually CAN make a real circle! LOL.

Anyway, it is a pleasure to be a part of these forums. I look forward to a long membership!

Moth

Power User
There's another way to create a circle. Use the marquee like you did before. Fill the marquee. Transform the selection through Select/Transform Selection then Delete. ;)

wbiss

Guru
Best to stick with the vector tools for "real circles" JHV! :)