What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

match color palettes

fred_oreo

Hello,

how can I extract the color palette of an image ?
i want to save the palette and use it with another picture to have the same color-palette on two different images.
The "match color" tool comes close to the result i want to have...but it works with the contrast too and adds colors that i don't want..I JUST want to work with the available colors... simply extract a color palette from an image and use it with a second one to get them match...(without adding something)
I found some tools to do this with 256 color images but I want to to this with my 8bit or 16bit files from my camera.

I think it's a simple answer but I can't find it....I hope someone can help me....

fred_oreo said:
I found some tools to do this with 256 color images but I want to to this with my 8bit or 16bit files from my camera.

Because 256 color images ( GIF especially ) use what's called a CLUT ( Color Look Up Table ) to generate their color palette, it's easy to export that palette for use with other images. Those 256 colors can be any of a diverse range of colors, but there are only 256 of them ever. With other RGB images it's a little different. The color palette for 8bit images is 16,777,216 colors and for 16bit images is 281,474,976,711,000 distinct colors. Because of how those images generate the color ( percentages of luminosity mixed from red, green, and blue color channels ) there isn't a unified table to draw specific color numbers from. ie... there is no color palette to get, which is why aren't getting one.

The bad news: what you're trying to do isn't going to happen.
The good news: there's probably another way to do it.

What specifically are you trying to accomplish by doing this? You said you are working with camera images, what do you need to do... maybe we can give you a better solution.

Thank you for the quik answer..

I have 50 images and I want to have them in a book. I want to use a "master-palette" for all images in the book. when I use the complete RGB-gamut there is to much diffrence in color-atmosphere... i want to have more harmony in the serie. I know a color mastering is done in the big-budget movie-production. hollywood-pictures are always fit together perfectly... I think they use a special master palette for the whole film in post production. i want to do the same for my book.

I know that it's not all post production... maybe it's set-design and light...but I think post production is a point too.

Back