What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mercator Tutorial / Photoshop CS

nbostic

Is it possible to get some help doing the mercator using CS? I even downloaded the provided action in another thread, but it doesn't work. Thanks.

Hi nbostic, welcome to the community. Hope you enjoy your stay. [excited]

Can you explain excalty what it is you're having trouble with in that tutorial? I'm sure there are simple solutions to whatever it is.

Most, if not all of my tutes are written to be non "version specific". So i'm fairly sure that whatever issue you're having, it's easy to solve. :perfect:

Thank you very much for the warm welcome.

The problem I'm encountering is that I can't use the sketch filter plugin. In fact, most of my plugins are completely grayed out and unusable. This is in Photoshop CS. I didn't use version 7 much, so I'm a little lost as to why I wouldn't be able to use the plugins.

Thanks again.

To start with, you may want to check Image>Mode, and see that it is set to RGB, and, probably 8bit mode. I don't have CS, and word goes that it fully supports 16bit, so the 8 bit might not be necessary.
But RGB is. (CMYK for example grays out most filters)

and word goes that it fully supports 16bit
Actually no Erik, it's not "fully" supported. But quite well anywho. I'm going by talk, not personal experience; as yet.

I would try what Erik has suggested first, plus make sure you're not in ANY other mode except RGB. All other modes will have limited support for filters and such.

See if that helps first ok?
Let us know if it doesn't. :perfect:

Like I said, I'm not too practiced in photoshop lately, so this is probably something very easy to fix:
When I select the gradient tool (g) for step 3 of method 2 and try to select the circle I've created, I get the message "could not use the gradient tool because the content of the layer is not directly editable"
Like I said, I'm sure this is probably something pretty easy to get around.
BTW, changing it to 8-bit got the filters to not be grayed out, so it looks like that was the problem there.

Thanks once again.

Ahaa...publicity heh?

"Full support of 16 bit..."

I know someone who bought it...I might ask to be allowed to play with it for an evening or so...costs me a bottle of wine, but that way at least I know what I am talking about...

"could not use the gradient tool because the content of the layer is not directly editable"
Ok excellent, now we're in business. :D

This error message simply means that you've gone and used the Vector Shape tool to create your circle, and not the Elipticle selection tool.

This is not a special feature of PS CS. The Vector tools have been around since v6. :B

Here is the exact text from that step:

"Then create a circular selection, that fills most of the canvas area."

Now from this day forth, whenever you see that word selection, think of using the selection tools, not the Vector tools. The selection tools are at the top of the toolbar.

So now... continue on! :perfect:

Back