What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merging Layers

Sark

Power User
Hi all.

What is the best way of making a merged copy of a number of layers?

I know the Alt/Ctrl/Shft/E shortcut, but this requires turning evertything off except the layers to be merged. In a large doc with some layers already turned off, turning everything on and off quickly is not always straight forward.

Is there a way of merging linked layers perhaps ?

Sark

I do make use of linked layers but I have to admit; not very often.

Linked layers are cumbersome when you're dealing with large amounts of layers.

The best way to group layers is to put them in layer sets and I also think that this is Adobe's philosophy, after all... they decided that Photoshop CS needed to have nested layers.

And btw, have you any clue what kind of power these layer sets have?

- moving layers as a group
- restricting layer adjustments to a group of layers
- you can mask a single group of layers, you can even have a mask on top of the same mask when you use nested sets!
- duplicate groups of layers
- change opacity of groups of layers
- lock groups of layers

Etc, etc.

People who just think that layer sets were only added to hide layers in the layers palette are missing out on a lot of powerful features!

JoeD, Moltas

Thanks for the replies, but I was really trying to find a quick way of making a "merged copy" of a number of layers. I've now discovered a method, using an action, that suits my needs.

After linking the layers, I create a "New layer set from linked". I then "Duplicate layer set", and finally "Merge layer set".

This gives me a "merged copy" of my linked layers with the original layers stored in a set.... Perfect

The benefit of this method is, only having to link the layers I need to merge, rather than turning everything off, and then on again. An Action applies these steps from a single F key. Easy really.

Sark

PS....JoeD, interesting you mentioned CS allows nested sets. I have PS 7 and was suprised this was not possible when I first began using this version. Clearly Adobe has seen the light in CS.

Back