What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moderate skill but lost on this effect

Thanasus

Greeting everyone,

I've been reading here for about 6 months and finally decided to register and post. I am not quite a guru but I am pretty good at photoshop. However, one thing that perplexes me is the best way to achieve the following effect:

http://www.starsacademy.com/sts107/common/background_content.jpg

I can see the banded gradient, with a pattern overlay, but how do the circles get smaller towards the middle. I am assuming it is via some method/filter/effect rather than manually creating all of them.

Hi Thanasus and welcome to the board :perfect:

To achieve the effect;

1/Create your blue repeating gradient and apply it to an rgb file
2/ Set to Greyscale, and tweak the levels a bit (experiment)
3/Set to Bitmap

Choose "Use halftone screen"
-Frequency low, like some 10
-Shape Round
-Angle 45?

4/ Go back to rgb over greyscale
5/ Make background a layer
6/ Add another layer and place it under the halftone screen layer
7/ Fill with your blue gradient
8/ Activate halftone screen layer and set to darken or multiply

This is the principle. You can, of course, use some GaussianBlur, or use the halftone screen as a layermask etc etc...

experiment, and have fun!

Welcome aboard Thanasus! :) See, you ask a question around here and before you know it, you get the answer to what you were looking for and then some! :D Enjoy your stay! ;)

Back