What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modify Border for multiple frames?

ar-pharazon

I am wondering if PS can use Modify Border>Fill on, say, 60 frames of an animated gif? That is, without having to perform the action manually on 60 frames in the animation window.

I use Modify Border>Fill a lot to get a nice looking border on a single image, but had to go with a larger canvas size and color fill on a layer behind all other layers in a multi-frame gif.

The problem with that is, I don't get the nice opaque-ness I get with the Modify Border.

Igor-Freshly Dead 2b.jpg
Doctor-Nine-vs-Daleks-1c.gif

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Photoshop CS3 on Windows7x64

I use Modify Border>Fill a lot to get a nice looking border on a single image, but had to go with a larger canvas size and color fill on a layer behind all other layers in a multi-frame gif.
This would be the preferred method. You could also make a frame in it's own layer and place it on the top of the layer stack.

The problem with that is, I don't get the nice opaque-ness I get with the Modify Border.
Not sure why this would be a problem unless you are lowering the opacity of the color fill layer. Please explain.

This would be the preferred method. You could also make a frame in it's own layer and place it on the top of the layer stack.

Not sure why this would be a problem unless you are lowering the opacity of the color fill layer. Please explain.

I like the opaque nature seen in the first image rather than the straight color of the second image. It's more subtle.

I'll try making a layer with the opaque border and put on top like you suggested.

I like the opaque nature seen in the first image rather than the straight color of the second image.
????

The first image (Igor) has a lowered opacity (transparent) border or a gradient. More of a vignette.

The second image (Dr Who) has an opaque (not transparent) border.

Hi ar-parazon

I don't use the Border command too often yet my understanding is that since CS3, it comes with built in feathering which causes the transparency at the edge.

I don't recall how feathering is handled in CS3 so let me give you an alternate approach that can give you a hard edge border (you can always feather the selection if you want it softer)

- Create a new transparent Layer
- Select the whole Layer
- Shrink the selection by the border width desired with Select > Modify > Contract
- Invert the selection Shift + Cmd + I (Shift + Cntl + I for PCs)
- Fill the selection

This Layers should work as the bottom Layer of the Stack or at the top of the Layer Stack. Note, that for each GIF frame this Layer needs to be enabled/made visible.

Now you have a solid border of the desired color

Hope this helps
John Wheeler

????

The first image (Igor) has a lowered opacity (transparent) border or a gradient. More of a vignette.

The second image (Dr Who) has an opaque (not transparent) border.

Sorry, I mixed that up. I would like the border on the second image to look like the one on the first image, again, without having to edit 60 Animation frames.

It looks a little better making a new top layer with the feathered border, but there's still the hard edge of the animation frames.
I'm going to keep tinkering with that. I'm hoping for a way to "auto border" all 60 animation frames if that's an option.

Hi ar-parazon

I don't use the Border command too often yet my understanding is that since CS3, it comes with built in feathering which causes the transparency at the edge.

I don't recall how feathering is handled in CS3 so let me give you an alternate approach that can give you a hard edge border (you can always feather the selection if you want it softer)

- Select the whole Layer
- Shrink the selection by the border width desired with Select > Modify > Contract
- Fill the selection

This Layers should work as the bottom Layer of the Stack or at the top of the Layer Stack. Note, that for each GIF frame this Layer needs to be enabled/made visible.

Hope this helps
John Wheeler

I'll give this a try too. It never hurts to have multiple options.

Hi ar-parazon

- Select the whole Layer
- Fill the selection

Hope this helps
John Wheeler

This is definitely the way to go. Thanks!

This is a little wider a border than I'd normally use, but just for testing I thought I'd go big.

Doctor-Nine-vs-Daleks-3a.gif

I too was confused about which border you wanted so glad you could find a solution out of what I and IamSam suggested that worked for you.
John Wheeler

Back