What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a little help with pen tool

OMG this is one frustrating tool. Again cannot move ONE POINT! Got the convert tool and every time I click the given point all it does is show me (or delete) handles. NOT move the blasted point. YARGH!

OMG this is one frustrating tool. Again cannot move ONE POINT! Got the convert tool and every time I click the given point all it does is show me (or delete) handles. NOT move the blasted point. YARGH!

Are you holding down the Ctrl key while clicking and dragging the anchor point????? If you do not hold Ctrl it will delete the handles

I will get this eventually but wow.... how I DO miss good old Freehand. ONE PEN TOOL made points. The move tool let you edit handles move points, or select a batch of points and move the whole thing. Want to delete a point? Select it, hit delete.
THIS????? OH MY GOD! THIS is why every time I turn on illustrator I turn it right back off. SAME TOOLS HERE it seems..... well DUH, made by the same bone headed company. They had a better idea right? Few more hours of this will be about all I can deal with..... still trying though, and I cannot thank you enough for sticking with me here.

Just to show you I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to photoshop, (just the pen tool it seems.) Here are some samples of past work I actually got paid for. photo retouch

Tried holding down CTRL and for some reason I cannot get a screen shot of the menu that pops up. But it does NOT let me move a point.

lol... ok, bottom of said menu, "transform point." SHEES. But ok, that issue is resolved.

Got another one for ya. Say I fill a large shape and now I want to punch a hole in it. Created another shape, is there such a thing as fill of zero? which would in essence make the filled shape behind it have a hole. Is this possible with photoshop tools?

Not sure I understand the question. If you create a vector shape, you can punch a hole in it with another vector shape.

Here, I used the pen tool to create a blue rectangular vector shape layer.
1649534043961.png

While keeping this shape layer active (in the paths palette), go back to the pen tool and click the little icon where the red arrow is pointing. This setting will let you create a new vector shape that subtracts from the blue rectangle.

1649534306771.png

Below, I used the subtract icon to punch a diamond-shaped hole into the blue rectangle.
(When you're all done, don't forget to reset the subtraction icon back to normal, or else it will still be active for next time when you may not want it.)

1649534675360.png

Does this answer your question?

YES... No time right now to play but this sure looks like the answer. Can I send you a gold star or something? HItting like doesn't seem good enough.

Back