What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help in dropping out a background

MacSimpson

Aloha,

My name is MacKinnon Simpson and I an a writer and book designer in Honolulu.

I have been using Photoshop since 1989 when it was a proprietary software developed for the long-gone Barneyscan. Even did a book about whaling in Hawai?i using what by then was an alpha version of Photoshop. Still I am, without question, a newbie, as I only use it for very specific tasks involved with designing books?primarily cropping, correcting flaws and color balancing of historic photos. I am using a Mac G4 running Photoshop 7.0

I have a book going off to press?supposedly yesterday?but I have spent hours trying to do what I am sure is a simple task . . . eliminating a background entirely. I have about thirty of these to do and am getting desperate. Here?s the scenario for one, and if I learn the step-by-step, it will work on all the rest. I have an old Matson Navigation logo which is round but was sent to me within a square. It has, in other words, a gray box around it. I want to place the round logo only?without the box?on a photo in InDesign.

Here is how far I have gotten:
Open the file and size the logo. Done.
Go to Layer> Duplicate Layer> Background copy. Done.
Go to Layer> Delete> Layer> Original Background. Done.
Using Magic Wand> Click on box around circle logo. Hit delete key.
Result is gray checkered background.
Using Magic Wand, click on checkered background to trigger marching ants.
Go to Select> Inverse.

Okay, now I have what I want?just the logo. I need to figure out the last step in Photoshop so that I can save it as a round object only and then Place it in InDesign.

Any help, preferably step-by-step, would be a godsend.

Thanks,

Mac

The problem is that there is a transparent portion of the image and you can only save it as certain file types. Try doing what you did and saving as either a PSD or PNG. Crossed fingers that Indesign accepts one of them.:)

Hi Mac,

Save file as TIFF and use PLACE command in InDesign - this will keep a transparent Background.

Regards,
Leon

Back