What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help Making paint splatter on my T shirt look more realistic

cecilia99

First time photshop user here.
Basically I tried to photoshop some paint splatters onto a t shirt, but I would like some suggestions on how to make it more realistic.

What I did was I first took a photo of some paint splatters on a blank white paper and a T shirt. Both photos were taken in the same condition.

I then removed the white paper in photoshop so I was only left with the paint splatters. I copied a portion of the splatter and pasted onto the document where my T shirt was.

Following this, I used perception and regular warp to make the paint splatter go in the direction of the creases of the T shirt. Finally, I set the layer with the paint splatter to multiply and set the opacity to around 70%.

If I did anything wrong please tell me.

I have attatched photos of my progress and end result.

1.PNG

2.PNG

paint.jpg

Argos

Guru
It looks good, I think for a more realistic look I would try to create more blurred transitions on some of the stains, looks too even.

There are also two straight lines on top that don't look too good.

My english is not the best, so hopefully this image will help to clarify what I mean by blurred transitions XD

colorful-vector-watercolor-brush-strokes-your-design-76851758.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello.

I really can't see anything that you did as "wrong". Any chance you might explain what or why you think it could look more realistic? Maybe provide a sample of another paint splattered t-shirt that you do think looks realistic! Something we might compare?

I used perception (perspective?) and regular warp to make the paint splatter go in the direction of the creases of the T shirt
You are wanting the paint to conform to the wrinkles in the t-shirt.

With a paint splatter having irregular edges, you probably would not notice conformity.

Splatter
Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 12.01.13 PM.png

Splatter set to Multiply..........looks fairly convincing without having to warp.
Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 12.01.29 PM.png

However, a shape that does not have irregular edges.
Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 12.07.23 PM.png

May not look convincing when set to Multiply
Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 12.07.45 PM.png

So a little "Puppet Warp" is suggested so that the rectangle conforms to the wrinkles.
(Note: Done quickly for demo, so not perfect)
Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 12.09.34 PM.png