What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with 14mm size circle design.

dani3113

I'm designing individual 14mm circles that will be repeated on to one page (40 circles on one sheet so I can cut each one out individually) but I'm stuck at what to start my image size at? Do I start a new file at 14mm? When I do that, I go to zoom in to start designing within my circle shape and it's all pixelated?
I need the actual printed circles to be 14mm in diameter.

sounds more like a job for InDesign... 14mm is not big. but you can define a circle's side.
does it have a border. inside or outside the 14mm.?
pixelation depends on your starting resolution..? 300 dpi or higher, and mainly depends on just how small the elemenst are to be with in that circle.
you could start out with 800 dpi.
using align layers, will get them in line, but Indeign has distibute objects...
regards, Sandy

No border, just the circle. I'm designing eye irises to be printed out in 14mm circles. So, you're saying perhaps I should start out with 800dpi? What size should I start file? Sorry, I'm just confused. Thanks for your help.

what ever the size of the page you are going to print to, sa A4. make a blank document at a resolution, from 300 dpi to 800 dpi. and put white (or even gray) 14mm circles. (I would put a temp solid colour background, say pink or blue or lightgray. so that you can see where they are)
align them. and you can make a row across the page by option drag, whic will make each new copy as a layer (use align layers to set them in exact line)
then group the layers, and then make copies of that group and move each down the page to make you "grid" of circles.
when you make the "irises" to go inside the circles, make that as a new document, but the same resulutio as the circles document.
tne drag copy to put them on the circles docuemtn, and move tool to put them over the circles.
then you can simply turn off te circles layesr and background colour layers.. that would leave you wil a page ofthe "irises"
this progect would mainly depent on what you are going to print them onto. (a photo lab may want from 300dpi to 400 dpi) or higher.
teh rason I would use higher DPI would depend on just how fine the detail is within those "irises"... fine detail woudl eman higher resolution. (it wold be more of a design thing, as you said about things pixelation when you zoomed in.
how do you know where to cut out exactly the circel. a template cutter.?
(i would use a very fine line with a half mm gap on the outside of the circle, but that is a personal preference.
regards, Sandy

If you are printing these out on your printer, these are setup to print on a 8.5 x 11 sheet. Let me know if I can alter these to fit your needs.
Circles.png
Circles-2.png

Last edited:

Back