What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with this effect...

Fredultra9

Does anyone know how to accomplish this effect? I've tried a couple of different methods but can't seem to get this same look. Any help would be much appreciated.
BURN.jpg

Rich54

Guru
Red Lettering
I chose a chunky font such as "Impact" and distorted it vertically using Edit>Transform>Scale.
Then I rasterized the text layer, changed the layer blend mode to Dissolve, and applied a very minor Gaussian blur to achieve the rough edges.
To create the black grainy texture within the red lettering, make a selection of the red lettering and, on a new layer, fill that selection with white. Set the blend mode to Multiply—the white will disappear—and then go to Filter>Noise>Add Noise. I think I used about 9% for the noise.

Yellow Effect
Create a new layer with blend mode of Dissolve. Using a soft brush, draw the yellow where it needs to go. Don't worry about being sloppy in the areas between the letters—that can be cleaned up later with a layer mask.
If you want more "dissolve-ness" in the vertical direction, go to Filter>Blur>Motion Blur. Set the angle to 90 degrees and apply an amount of blur that looks good.

At this point, the yellow effect needs a bit of Gaussian blur to soften the sharpness of the dissolve grains. But when a layer has blend mode of Dissolve, applying blur does not actually make it blurry. Instead, the blur increases the amount of dissolve-ness. To get around this, turn off all layers except the yellow. Then, on a new layer, use Stamp>Visible (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+E) to create a new yellow layer with blend mode of Normal. You can now delete the old yellow layer. Reactivate all the other layers and apply a very slight Gaussian blur to the yellow layer. I used 0.4 pixels.

The last step is to add a bit of noise to the yellow layer and then apply a layer mask to mask away the areas between the letters.