What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some guidances to reproduce a poster

Nemocratus

I want to make a fun photo editing for a birthday that would reproduce the fun & vampiric vibe of "What we do in the shadows" posters.
I will take the picture with proper lighting but i need some advice with the effects/filters that you would recommend to approach this kind of result.

Thanks a lotfor your help !

WWDS-S3-AfterTheShadows_1080x1080_8_2372.jpgwhat-we-do-in-the-shadows-saison-3-affiche-02.jpgwhat_we_do_in_the_shadows_ver3_xlg.jpg

Hello and welcome!

Just letting you know that you're not being ignored. What you're asking for is slightly more involved than you may imagine. The very first problem is that you will most definitely have to set up the lighting in your photo shoot. This is key for this type of effect. Proper frontal, back and side lighting will be important. Mimicking this lighting with Ps never works well and can be a painstaking process. Note that our friend Guillermo has strong lighting from 3 different directions that are then colored green, blue and pink.....

WWDS-S3-AfterTheShadows_1080x1080_8_2372 copy.jpg

I feel there could be more involved, but I have found this INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO ON RIM LIGHTING that will help point you in the right direction.

For me, finding a properly lit image to practice on is a problem. But like you, this type of effect interests me and I would like to conduct some experiments. I will check back as soon as I play with this effect some more.

Just a very quick interpretation of how to colorize............needs more work which I would do if it was a project. Contrast is off with the Gradient map on the facial lighting. Wish I had more time, as this type of effect really interests me.

This is just simple Color Fill Adjustment and Gradient Map Adjustment layers with layer masks.

WWDITS_Effect_03.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 11.24.34 PM.png

Here's a great tutorial on using GRADIENT MAPS for this purpose!

Thanks a lot for this try and your guidance, even if the result is not yet perfect i think you are definitely on the right track.
I ll give it a try this weekend and update my post.

Thanks again

Back