What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoration Need to read text from this gravestone

Status
Not open for further replies.

harleynut97

Hi, I do genealogy research and I have failed trying to restore/manipulate this image enough to be able to read the text on the many names/dates found on this gravestone. Please note, I am not trying to actually restore the photo, just to be able to read the names & dates that are found on the gravestone. I use an older photoshop program (CS6) and messed around with blending modes ect. but it just has not worked.

Thank You - CarlTroup_John_Gravephoto.jpeg

I dont know if it's me having deja vu, but I think I remember this image on another post a long time ago, unfortunately, with no good results I was curious If the improvements in technology could make it possible this time XD.

I spent some more time on the image and in this version, I can read almost all the words on the marker.
I also followed this by a GIF showing alternating between original and final version:
John Wheeler

Geroge-Troup-2-adj.jpg

Geroge-Troup-2-adj.gif

I was trying too, but I think we are at a similar stage (yours is nicer XD) I don't think we can't get more XD

1f.jpg

@thebestcpu @JeffK @Argos
Good Morning, what a nice surprise to wake up to. First I want to thank you for taking time to help me with this. I hope you can share a little bit about how you approached this challenge because I failed compared to all of you. This image came from a website called "Find a Grave" a really helpful site for genealogists.

I am researching the Troup family who is from Fyvie, Scotland. One of the ancestors is John Troup (1784-1845) whose father was named George. When I found the church baptism record for John, it only named his father not his mother.

As it turns out the George who erected this grave was the oldest son of John Troup (noted above) who was also named George. It doesn't appear the father of John or his wife is mentioned on this gravestone. @thebestcpu I would like your permission to post your version on the Find a Grave memorial site. I know it would help many people in the future who may also be researching this family.
Could you let me know if that is OK? Also I would want to give you credit for the improvement.

I would like to get all of your opinions (or guesses) on what the text might say in the box I highlighted? Thanks again for all your help - Carl
Geroge-Troup-2-adj_QUESTIONS.jpg

@thebestcpu @JeffK @Argos
Good Morning, what a nice surprise to wake up to. First I want to thank you for taking time to help me with this. I hope you can share a little bit about how you approached this challenge because I failed compared to all of you. This image came from a website called "Find a Grave" a really helpful site for genealogists.

I am researching the Troup family who is from Fyvie, Scotland. One of the ancestors is John Troup (1784-1845) whose father was named George. When I found the church baptism record for John, it only named his father not his mother.

As it turns out the George who erected this grave was the oldest son of John Troup (noted above) who was also named George. It doesn't appear the father of John or his wife is mentioned on this gravestone. @thebestcpu I would like your permission to post your version on the Find a Grave memorial site. I know it would help many people in the future who may also be researching this family.
Could you let me know if that is OK? Also I would want to give you credit for the improvement.

I would like to get all of your opinions (or guesses) on what the text might say in the box I highlighted? Thanks again for all your help - Carl
View attachment 133981
Hi @harleynut97
Using my image to post on Find A Grave is just fine and thanks for including the recognition.
I also am a genealogist and have done quite a few transcriptions of hard to read text/script.
The second line in the box you mentions is:
"IN MEMORY OF HIS DAUGHTER"
and the following line (daughters name) is
"ELLEN"

I will give the first line a look as well and will post here if I can figure it out
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

@thebestcpu I believe you're correct on the second line within the box (In Memory of his Daughter). I believe the last two words on the top line are "Old Meldrom" it is a town that is pretty close to Fyvie, Scotland. I believe this George Troup lived there for a period of time.
I'm still really stuck on the words before that.

I don't know if you have ever researched Scotland, but I am really impressed with the ease you can find civil and church records there. Thanks again for your help- Carl

@thebestcpu I believe you're correct on the second line within the box (In Memory of his Daughter). I believe the last two words on the top line are "Old Meldrom" it is a town that is pretty close to Fyvie, Scotland. I believe this George Troup lived there for a period of time.
I'm still really stuck on the words before that.

I don't know if you have ever researched Scotland, but I am really impressed with the ease you can find civil and church records there. Thanks again for your help- Carl
Hi @harleynut97

Good call on OLDMULDRUM

Trying to "eke out" the other words my best guesstimate is: "FAR?? RULE DELL OLDMULDROM"

The first word it looks as it starts with FA yet not sure about the rest. I noted that there was a "Folla Rule" not too far away either.

That's about as far as I can take it and hope that provides some additional clues for you
John Wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back