What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new image

Sean

Guru
Man, I don't have as much time to doodle as you do! :(|

ronmatt

Guru
You've got to be kidding. I hold down a full time job. I own a home, a cabin up at Tahoe,( These keep me pretty busy). I have about 6 freelance design accounts and I do contract pre-press work at home for two big L.A. printers. . I play keyboards, Jazz and fusion, I design and build furniture, I flyfish and write short stories. I find time to play on the old computer. The piece posted here too about an hour. Now, on top of that, I'm 64.

there is no finish line

lasa

Power User
The everready bunny has nothing on Don Ron..

It's proven the more you do the more time you have to do MORE...

Don Ron you seem to be doing it right...enjoy it now,... we're dead an awful long time.

Thanks for sharing that last post...I downloaded your one hour "industrial strength stroke light" (as I've done with most of your work) to break the beasty down into more managable parts. 8))

If you ever take a break have a margarita on me...Cheers

Lasa

Moth

Power User
That is some phenomenal work. Is this another example of using zbrush2 with photoshop? The textures are amazing.

SCync

Power User
Ron, I absolutely love your work. The detail, lighting, and texture that comes out of your mind and onto your screen is unique and powerful. Thanks for using this forum as one of your showcases. :} :}

ronmatt

Guru
To all who appreciate my work, thank you. It's a pleasure sharing what I do with a group of people who are able to see it for what it is and critique it with intelligence. The reason I settled into this forum is because of this kind of response. I do have some 'fans' at DA and one other forum. But on some other forums i get, "gee, really nice, man. what is it?". So thanks for accepting the visuals for what they are.

Moth, The only 'z' work on this is the threaded thing running through the object. I've made up about a million of them that I use as needed.

Lasa, I prefer JD with a Miller back, if it's no problem. and I'm pleased to hear you download these things. Learn all you can.

lasa

Power User
Ok Don Ron,...I need some insight on how you built the strobelight..
No not a tutorial (you've been clear about tuts) just concepts and direction on how to achieve particular looks or feels.

-The steel wire cage and/or the inner tubing.

Don Ron, your mission, if you chose to accept, is to give a hack like myself tools to be able to fish.

Nothing massive a simple..
general steel cage wire:
Make the wire mess with the pen tool. stroke it with a hard brush 50% grey. add gradients to taste....I have no idea ... I'd like to understand the thought process,...a place to start...

then, I'll later find my own fishing hole.

Lasa

Sean

Guru
ronmatt said:
You've got to be kidding. I hold down a full time job. I own a home, a cabin up at Tahoe,( These keep me pretty busy). I have about 6 freelance design accounts and I do contract pre-press work at home for two big L.A. printers. . I play keyboards, Jazz and fusion, I design and build furniture, I flyfish and write short stories. I find time to play on the old computer. The piece posted here too about an hour. Now, on top of that, I'm 64.
Didn't know you do that much. I've got a lot too. I start every day at 6:00 in the morning and go work at a private coffee shop till 8:00
Then from 9:00 to 12:00 I go to choir practice. Then after that I usually go to work till 4:00. Then I have summer school homework which consists of math, history, and writing. I'm also in some songs on the side for a wedding. My school is working on two videos as well. I'm set designer, graphics, and editor. I also play keyboards for sunday worship and choir too. I also play drums and percussion. Oh yeah, and I always have to do the usual: take out the trash, clean bathrooms, my room and wash the dishes. Then after that I use my free time to work on video, and my concept car.

ronmatt

Guru
Patrick, I'm proud that you accomplish all those task throughout the day. My kids were busy too. Having an ol' man like me, they had to be. To this day they keep active and their kids are kept active. Life is meant to be lived, not observed. You can never bite off more than you can chew and remember. THERE IS NO FINISH LINE.

ronmatt

Guru
lasa, as you know, I'll be more than happy to tutor you. I just don't know if this forum is the proper place. Many people won't be interested. We should find out how to start a 'group', ya think?

lasa

Power User
Both of you make me look like a slug..but, a very rested slug! ;)

Anyway: Ron
Type and they will come..don't put pressure on yourself by having to produce or monitor a tutorial thread. This is a Photoshop board...keep it mostly PS and I think interested people will surface.
When you or anybody show something..give a hint on how some part of it was put together. It doesn't have to be a tutorial per say... It will be old hat for some and new to others , its the nature of the beast.

I think that there are a lot of talented people here if everybody shared aspects of what they know..we will all be richer for it. Some have more illustrative talent, some manipulate pictures or type better.. others don't even understand enough to ask questions ...we'll watch, listen and hell maybe even be tomorrows DaVinci..

The thing is to encourage the sharing of information..nothing in photoshop is dumb, old or "done", its new to somebody and probably forgotten by some veterns..

But then again, I'm actual new to this forum so don't listen to me I could be all wet!.. :D

Let?s see what the moderators think,

Lasa

ronmatt

Guru
I will do the best that I can. The only problem that I can forsee is that I don't usually work exclusively with PS to produce a final PS image. I use Illustrator, Bryce 5, ZBrush, RealDraw, Swift3D and even Flash for some vector stuff. Each of these apps does something exclusively that can be imported into PS for manipulation. I create textures from compressed photos, fonts, scans and (one of my favs) enlarged or compressed pixels. So, you can see the problem here. If the way I create something is to start in PS, save as a psd, open the psd in Zbrush, make it a texture, add that to a material at say, 75% rgb intensity and 90% pressure, select a tool and produce an image. save as psd, open that in PS and go to work on it..................I've just lost a lot of people. If not because they haven't the will to learn. They don't have the 3 grand to shell out for the software or the time for the learning curve for those apps.
What I'll do is 'qualify' my images as 'all ps' or ps+ then we'll take it from there, ok?

ronmatt

Guru
http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/5165/pendulum5oo.jpg

How 'bout this. The link is an illustration, all ps. I used parts from the attached photo to create most of it. Can you tell what and where I used them? This will test you powers of observation and teach you a new way of looking at things. Whole worlds are held in the most insignificant of things.