What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to photoshop

Nathanq0206

Hi, I'm a newbie who just recently started messing around with Photoshop. So far it's been pretty fun, but I also want to improve. This is my first real attempt (other than messing with the different features) at creating something. I know it's not very well made so any feedback is useful.
(I basically just Photoshopped J. Cole onto an old album I like)

COLExCARPENTER.jpg

Argos

Guru
Hi narthanq0206, if you are starting, for sure this is not the best images to work on, try to add the same guy on top of a car but instead of using that old image of an album try to search for an image of a car that suits the light, and quality of the guy. About this image , the light of the guy it's just too off to fix it, the selection is too soft and when you add something you have to add the shadows of that object/person.

Nathanq0206

Hi narthanq0206, if you are starting, for sure this is not the best images to work on, try to add the same guy on top of a car but instead of using that old image of an album try to search for an image of a car that suits the light, and quality of the guy. About this image , the light of the guy it's just too off to fix it, the selection is too soft and when you add something you have to add the shadows of that object/person.
Ahh, I see. The photo of the guy was in a more darkened room so that makes a lot of sense. I'll try to do one with similar lighting. Thanks for the feedback

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Nathan and welcome to the forum.

We all started somewhere and it was not always the best..........so don't sweat it! As Argos poiinted out, the lighting was the first thing I noticed when I saw the composite. If you look at the trees in the background image (album) you will see that the light source is originating from our right hand side and the shadows are on the left. The lighting on the guy (J. Cole) is just the opposite and missing his own shadows.

Like Argos I feel that the selection of the guy is too soft. The edges need to be a little more crisp.

I also feel like the guy is a bit too small and therefore not quite in proportion...............but it's hard to tell with the poor quality of the distorted car in the BG image.

The overall lighting is too dark. A common manifestation for newbies is creating dark images. Dark has a tendency to cover and hide mistakes, unfortunately it obliterates detail.
Original lighting.
triple-now-and-then.jpg

Keep up the good work.......you're off to a great start!