What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

one works, one doesn't

namvet

Power User
my problem is as follows ...
I have two computers they are both ? P3, 1.1, 256ram, each one has one only 20gig hard drive. Their hard drives are partitioned into b, c, d and e. On both, the b ?drive? (2gig) is hidden as it contains my back up c drive ? the c ?drive? (2gig) contains all essential programs ? the d ?drive? (2gig) contains sundry programs and data files ?. The e ?drive? (14gig - balance of hard drive) contains all other folders/files, files created by Word, PS7 etc ? both computers are vitually identical, both have PS7 on them ? my problem is as follows ? computer ?A? will work all day with PS7 open, lots of duplicated images ? often with Word, Photostudio, Front Page and Vue Pro (with semi completed ?work? in them) open at the same time ?.. BUT computer ?B? won?t. Computer ?B? gives me ?drive full? message when I use PS7 and IR together and try to save something .. it also does the same with PS7 when other other programmes are open. I have checked that ALL temp files were empty, and both computers are set up in PS7 under preferences>plug-ins & scratch disks with .. first: d: ? second: .. e: ? third: none ? fourth: none .
I?m no wizkid when it comes to computers but the behaviour of computer ?B? is suggesting to me that I still have something in its PS7 pointing at the c ?drive? ? I have looked and checked several times and found nothing and don?t have a clue how to fix the computer ?B? problem ? any help would be greatly appreciated
NOTE: this is probably not important but both computers are networked so I can access files from the other from which ever computer I am working on

A few ideas:

1/ I assume you have the same OS, and the same progs with the same licence numbers.
2/ Is this network a cross-linked two comp setup, or is there a thired server in the game? If they're only two, then one acts as server (master) and one as "are you being served" (yes, Cpt. Peacock).
3/ Where does your OS have its scratch file? The idea of putting PS's on a different partition is to avoid it messin' up with that of the OS (this is my bit. no, mine. NO, MINE! fight. Blue screen of death)

I never have several apps open. And, sorry to say so, but 256 ram is not really "much" anymore. If you're on Win98, then you've got an OS that can't count up to 256Ram. More than 128 isn't recognised. So it simply takes a %. The others are OK, but do take a nice part of your RAM. So what is left has to be divided by the apps. Not much when you open a 30meg image with five layers and do some cloning, is it?

Did you defrag all partitions?

What kind of OS are you using Namvet?
I get the "drive full" message with my Outlook Express every once in a while and I can't figure out why (yet) [confused]

thanks for the reply erik ... the following are my answers/questions etc

1/ I assume you have the same OS, and the same progs with the same licence numbers..... yes
2/ Is this network a cross-linked two comp setup, or is there a thired server in the game? .... no third computer/server ... they are connected by a crossover cable (not through a hub)
If they're only two, then one acts as server (master) and one as "are you being served" (yes, Cpt. Peacock)..... as I understand it they are both stand alones with their own OS and programs but they can transfer files etc as required ... in other words if either is switched off the other is still fully functional ... but when both are switched on they can share files
3/ Where does your OS have its scratch file? I didn't realise that an OS would have a scratch file or do you mean windows temp folder?? ... if you mean the windows temp folder it is in c on both computers
yes I'm aware that 256 ram isn't much nowadays ... need to upgrade ram, chip and thinking about bigger harddrive but this is a hobby and so i justify size by needs not wants ... however I was not aware of Win98 only counting 128 of ram so it looks like I need to look at upgrading there too before long ...

Did you defrag all partitions? nope,[innocent] ooops, will do that tonight
erik I thank you very much for replying ... will keep you posted as to the result :perfect:

What Erik means to say with the Windows "scratch disk", is the swap file. If you run out of memory, windows will actually "swap" parts of programs in your memory to disc to make space for other parts. If you're low on memory, this swapping occurs quite often, indicated by an almost constantly flashing drive light. All that constant swapping is also a great breeding ground for many errors or blue screens. Windows will actually resize your swap file if it's getting to small, but if you run out of disk space when swapping needs to take place, you actually run out of memory, that is "virtual memory".

The location of your swap file can always be determined by going to control panel / system and in general (depending on your OS) the settings can be found under the performance tab.
You can change the size of your swap file, location and make it static or dynamic.

:D :D :D ..... thanks erik and Gaussian ... that was it ... OS swap files on computer "A" were pointed at the bigger drive (so it worked with a glitch) .... OS swap files on computer "B" were pointed at the much smaller c drive (so it played up constantly) ..... now fixed ... thanks again :perfect:

Back