What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Actions Photoshop Action for Making an Outline from a Selection (Useful for Tutorials)

Yutosi

Power User
This is a very simple and basic Photoshop Action that I made but I find it extremely useful when making tutorials, and I thought someone else might find it useful as well. It's great for when you want to show an image and direct the viewer to a certain part of the image, or tell them to select or click some button... well you get the idea.

What does it do?
It turns a selection into a rasterized red outline on a new layer.

Simply draw a selection with a marquee tool, and click play on this action and you will have a red outline on a new layer. Here's an example and instructions:

Pnn6I.png

Download The Action Here:
View attachment Red.Outline.Selection.atn

psIloveyou

This is great!

Can I change the color of the outline?

Thank you for sharing your action Yutosi.

iDad

Guru
I very rarely use actions but I may start, gotta save that one! Thanks!

KRF

Power User
Actions save you so much time, if you are doing the same thing over and over again, iDad, just start using them, and stop being a little stone age guy lol

iDad

Guru
Someone gotta stay in touch with the Stonies......... lol

Yutosi

Power User
Thanks for the replies, I'm happy you guys found this useful.

@psIloveyou - I don't think you can change the color in my action, but you can easily create a new one with any color you want. Just go to the actions panel and twirl open the little triangles next to each step on my action to see what I did.

It's basically just the following:
New Layer
Fill Selection with the color you want
Select --> Contract 3px (or any number of px... this will be how thick your outline is)
Clear

That's all it's very simple.

If you have trouble I can make one for you with any color you want.

buckbear

Don't go out and buy an action. Just use quick-mask mode to select a gradient in the picture, and then either "lens blur" filter it or "gaussian blur" if "lens blur" is not available in your version.