What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CC and Mac vs CS6 and PC

funnygirl

I had an interview yesterday and after 6+ years of using Photoshop on a PC I had to use a MAC to create some designs. They had Photoshop CC. I spent more time trying to figure out why my usual methods wouldn't work on this computer and I'm not sure how much of it was due to a Mac or how much was due to a different version of PS. Can someone help me with a few questions?

Note: I do understand the difference between the Command key verses the Ctrl key, etc.

1. One of the troubles I faced were the colors. When I would double-click the layer to give it a color-overlay, it wouldn't take. It would be there in the layer style, but not visible on the actual layer. I had to do through great lengths to give it the colors I needed, especially when I added to an existing piece and tried to match the color exactly. In fact, I wasn't able to match the color exactly, even though I was using the color picker to do so.
  2. This next challenge is a bit tricky to explain, the PS window seemed to be transparent to the windows behind it. I wanted to see PS in it's entirety and for my working canvas to fill the screen. I could only get my canvas the size of it's original dimensions. It was quite frustrating. I was often confused over which window was open.
  3. Another issue, likely Mac or Chrome related, is I was given access to Adobe's photo stock, and when I would select an image to download, the button at the bottom would only give me a choice to open the image, not save it to a desired folder. So, I would open it in PS, save as to the desktop so I could slide it into my PS file and proceed from there.
  4. There are some other issues, but I won't mention them all. It was also frustrating how the selected layer would automatically have what appeared to be the transform active.
I'm sure some of this may be due to settings of the computer and/or PS. Any feedback you would have to provide is greatly appreciated. If I get this job, I need to quickly adjust to this new workflow. Any pointers for how to get up to speed for these, where to go for tutorials, what keywords to search, would also be very helpful.

Thank you in advance.

Hello and welcome to PSG.

I use CC and a Mac so I will try to answer some of your questions.

When I would double-click the layer to give it a color-overlay, it wouldn't take.
This has never worked in any version of Ps that I've ever used with a mac or a pc. Double clicking a layer has always served to add a layer style.
It would be there in the layer style, but not visible on the actual layer.
Double clicking a layer has always served to add a layer style to a layer in Ps. The color being "not visible" in the document is also normal behavior for a layer style.
The big question is why would you use a layer style to add a color to a layer? Use an solid color adjustment layer and all your problems are solved. You will find the solid color adjustment layer in the menu produced when you click the half moon icon located at the bottom of the layers panel or under LAYER > NEW FILL LAYER > SOLID COLOR..............this too has always been present in Ps.
the PS window seemed to be transparent to the windows behind it. I wanted to see PS in it's entirety and for my working canvas to fill the screen. I could only get my canvas the size of it's original dimensions. It was quite frustrating. I was often confused over which window was open.
I can't speak for earlier versions, but since CS6 there has been tabs in Ps. Go to WINDOW > ARRANGE > here you can choose what works best for you............I use CONSOLIDATE ALL TO TABS.

Don't know about 3 yet........will get back to you on that.

It was also frustrating how the selected layer would automatically have what appeared to be the transform active.
This only happens when your using the Move Tool and the "show transform controls" setting is checked/ticked.......uncheck it. Unless your talking about something else.

Good luck!

Hello and welcome to PSG.
I use CC and a Mac so I will try to answer some of your questions.

Thank you.

This has never worked in any version of Ps that I've ever used with a mac or a pc. Double clicking a layer has always served to add a layer style.

Double clicking a layer has always served to add a layer style to a layer in Ps. The color being "not visible" in the document is also normal behavior for a layer style.
The big question is why would you use a layer style to add a color to a layer? Use an solid color adjustment layer and all your problems are solved. You will find the solid color adjustment layer in the menu produced when you click the half moon icon located at the bottom of the layers panel or under LAYER > NEW FILL LAYER > SOLID COLOR..............this too has always been present in Ps.

Double clicking a layer to add a layer style is what I'm talking about. When I create a shape in PS, I apply whatever color is in the pallet. As I work through the design and experiment with different colors, I use the color overlay style on the layer. It works very well for me. I've always been able to see the color apply immediately as I work through my choices. In this case, not only was I unable to see the color while working with the pallet, but after applying the style, the layer didn't take the new color style.

Are you making the shape with a shape tool? You don't change the color of a shape with a layer style. You use the shape fill in the toolbar options. If you add a layer style color overlay, the layer style will overlay the existing color with the new color overlay. The selection will now contain a mixture of the two.

If you make a selection with one of the selection tools, and fill the selection with the foreground color...........then add a layer style color overlay, again you get just that.........the layer style will overlay the existing color with the new color overlay. The selection will now contain a mixture of the two.

You cant fill an empty selection with a layer style color overlay.

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem.

Back