What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CS4 F1 Help - is sent to wrong browser on Windows7

STovey

I know that headline sounds weird, but then, this is a very weird problem.

When I hit the f1 key or click help in Photoshop CS4, if Firefox is running, it calls up the Firefox manager rather than sending the url link to the running browser.

I found a suggested solution which said to change the default browser to IE which I did. I even rebooted the computer just to make sure everything was cleared out of memory.

Now, if I click a URL link in Thunderbird, the link opens IE, but when I click help or the f1 key in Photoshop CS4, it still calls Firefox which opens the profile manager since I have several profiles.

Another quirky thing I found is that if I run Photoshop with Firefox closed and press the F1 key; it calls up the Firefox profile manager. If I then elect to start Firefox from the Photoshop call, and then hit the f1 key in Photoshop, it will then send the link to the opened profile.

Can anyone tell me where Photoshop or Adobe CS4 Premier stores the default browser information?
It's obvious that it is not accessing the Windows Environment key.

I thought I would post this work around. It's not ideal due to a bit of inconvenience but it does resolve the issue.

I created a URL shortcut link on the desktop that when clicked, calls up the browser session manager.

When the browser is started from this link, the URLs clicked in external programs, including the F1 Help call in Photoshop CS4, go to the current running browser session window as it is expected to do.

It turns out that this is a Firefox issue and has been around for awhile.since Firefox 30 but was supposed to have been fixed. I bet the guy who fixed the bug will be upset that someone put it back in.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1004390

In any case, if someone else comes across this problem, this is here to give them some answers.

Back