What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please remove the white background image on the GIF

g0dmenuelz

Hi guys please help me by explaining how to remove the white background image and its white traces when the character moves on the GIF and make it transparent.
I have tried on my own but it leaves white traces.
Thanks

layer 2 woman.gif

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please describe your work flow..............as in what have you been doing and show us your work.

There are 206 frames in this animation. You start by selecting both frame 1 and layer 1 and remove the white background ( I used the Magic Eraser Tool). Then you do the same for frame 2 layer 2................and so on.

Here are the first 30 frames with the white BG removed. I have added a blue background.
layer-2-womanBlue.gif

The white specs you see were part of the original substrate of the female character.

If you use the Quick Selection Tool to make a selection, then hitting delete.
Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 12.32.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 12.32.15 PM.png
You are still going to have white specs in the outline because of the selection process (Quick Selection Tool). The small white specs on the border of the character will be included in the selection and will show up with any contrasting background color.
Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 12.38.14 PM.png

If you use the Magic Wand Tool set to 0 tolerance to make the selection and then hitting delete, you can get a fairly decent result.Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 4.24.40 PM.png

layer-2-womanBlue2.gif

thebestcpu

Guru
If you want to keep the background colored dancing dots, there is a shortcut way that will work for this particular GIF (not a general solution). Since this was not the "Free Photoshop Requests" I will leave the implementation of the steps below to you

1) Group all of the GIF Layers into a Layer Group
2) To the Group Layer, add a Layer Style and slide the Blend If Gray slider for "This Layer" to the left a bit until the background becomes transparent (does it for all Layers at once). It also makes her smile transparent which will be fixed in the two steps below
3)Add a Transparent Layer underneath the full Group (including all GIF Layers)
4) On this transparent Layer, paint in white near where her mouth is yet not in the background area (it moves around yet that is OK)

That should give you a working GIF with the white background turned transparent. This only works because the white smile on the woman never moves into a background area in all the positions of the GIF

Just another consideration to try out and hope this helps
John Wheeler