What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Points and Control Handles

tranquil222

Power User
Ok, 3 questions:

1. With the pen tool/selection tools, if i've made a point and it has no control handles, how do i make it so that it has control handles?

2. If a point has 2 control handles, how do I delete one of them?

3. When im working on a path how do I make it so that PS doesn't create a vector mask based on that path every time I create an adjustment layer?

Im pretty versed on controlling points in Illustrator, but some of those dont carry over to Photoshop. So im flummoxed.

[confused]

tranquil222

Power User
Ive figured out question #1(answer: by using convert point tool and dragging on the point), but the other 2 still stand. Thanks

Rantin Al

Guru
Hi Tranquil,

Q2. Just drag the unwanted handle back into the point using the path selection tool.
Tip is to use the Convert tool to make an angle point if the point is a curve. This prevents disturbing the curve of the path you want to retain.

Q3. Im not sure what you mean? The adjustment layers are independent unless you Alt/Option click to link them in the layer palette.

I created a shape, then added adjustment layers. No vector mask, even with shape path selected.

A screengrab of your layer palette would help.

Al

tranquil222

Power User
Here is the screenshot of the image im working with. I have a wedge shaped path in the bottom corner and all of the adjustment layers are grabbing this as a vector mask, even when the path isnt visible. I know I can just trash the vector mask by dragging it to the garbage can, but surely there is a reason why this is happening?
Oh yeah, the path selection tool does not reveal control handles so im confused by your answer. Did you mean the direct selection tool??

tranquil222

Power User
Ive figured out that if I go to the paths pallette and click in an empty gray spot in that pallette, this "deselects" the path and no longer applies the path as a vector mask in any adjustment layers, until you go to your work path and reselect it. Possibly there is an easier way to do this...?

G

tranquil222 said:
Ive figured out that if I go to the paths pallette and click in an empty gray spot in that pallette, this "deselects" the path and no longer applies the path as a vector mask in any adjustment layers, until you go to your work path and reselect it. Possibly there is an easier way to do this...?
Enter key (works both in layer and path panel)

Rantin Al

Guru
Ah! Now I see. The path is still active when you create the adjustment layer.
I was reading this as a path shape layer.
If the path is still active, it will create a clipping mask from the work path.

Well sussed Gaussian. :perfect:

Al

Rantin Al

Guru
Tranquil

You need to create the Paths from the Paths Palette and not just click with the Pen tool on the image. This is why it is coming up as a Vector Mask.

Just click the New Path icon in the Path Palette and then start drawing the path. With the path selected you can fill or stroke and modify it as required.

Al.