What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Preserve multi strip nature of tiff after photoshop

Thesimp

ive noticed all tiffs output from photoshop were in single strip despite overall bytesize is the same.
is there a way to maintain the tiff in multi strip, similar to when taken from camera?

Hi @Thesimp
It would help if you could give a more details explanation and or a link to an article that can explain the details of what you desire.
Image data typically can come out as raw format (specific to brand and model) with the data representing the sensor pixels often in a Bayer Array format. Cameras most often provide a JPEG image which follows the JPEG standard. A few cameras can output in TIFF.

Photoshop has the ability to save TIIFF is several ways which may or may not be related to what you want to see. It can be output with bits alternating among R,G,and B color pixels or output Each color channel by itself non-interleaved.

Clarification of your needs would be a good first step.
Just my opinion of course.
John Wheeler

Thanks for the insight and prompt reply.
I have microscopic images taken with a SPOT 4.6 camera, im unaware of the specs but they are indexed photos of r g or b exclusive colors. The photos were saved as tiff directly.

I'm refering to the tiff structure itself where original tiff has 60strips with 32000byte = 1920000byte total each while after photoshop it became 1 strip with 1920000byte, would like to know if photoshop can output in multistrip format?
originalphotoshop
strip offset60 different values1 value
rows per strip201200
strip byte count60strips * 32000 byte = 1920000byte1920000

Hi @Thesimp
The information you provided and is helpful yet your problem is still not exactly clear.
Would it be possible for you to compress an example TIFF file into a ZIP file format and "attach" that file to a subsequent post.

I really had to read between the lines of your issue so may have "read" incorrectly.
First, I think the Spot 4.6 is actually software for the camera and not the camera model directly (so could not look up specs)

My best guess until you provide more information is that the CCD camera is 1600 pixels wide by 1200 pixels high.
The data stored for each pixel (based on the file size you gave) could either be a full 8 bit monochrome image an an 8 bit indexed color (still one byte per pixel)

Also if I read correctly, when you read the file into photoshop, it comes in as a 60 pixels high by 32,000 pixel wide image instead of the desired 1200 pixel high x 1600 pixel wide image.

Is this correct?

If yes, then either the file is not saving the file dimensions correctly or Photoshop reads them incorrectly to format the image pixels correctly for viewing (and subsequently for saving).

So a few additional questions.
- Is the image viewing in Photoshop correctly or not and only a problem in saving
- or is the image viewing incorrectly in Photoshop and also saving incorrectly
- what is the final desired format that you need the image saved. Can it be in a Photoshop supported TIFF file or is there a specific format that is needed.

I cannot delve into the problem without more details. Note that if all the image data is intact, even if the wrong pixel dimensions are being used, I believe there is a way to correct that and save the file that would save the image as an RGB color indexed file that is 1200 high and 1600 wide.

Of course assuming I read between the lines correctly.
Ball is in your court and if you need help in uploading and attaching a file just ask

John Wheeler

Last edited:
If I understand it correctly all TIFF images are broken up into strips and there are some specific number of (image data) rows for each of these strips. If unspecified, the default number of rows is 2^32-1 and that is a really, really big number. From a practical stand point that means that virtually any image we use can be described by using one strip and whatever number of rows it needs.. Photoshop is reading the OP's file correctly at 60 strips with 20 rows in each strip and then writing it out at the default using only 1200 rows of what potentially could be as large as 4,294,967,295 rows Or so I understand. Because it is a universal default, a huge plus is that no matter the other parameters of this TIFF file its likely readable by anything that has a decent understanding of this format. However, while Photoshop defaults to a single strip, I’ve read that when in compressed mode it can write strips (plural!) but I don’t think this can be user specified.

This is beyond my technical understanding but I would venture a guess that in computing days gone by these strips deliberately held smaller chunks of data that the machines of the time could consume easily and that more modern computers can digest considerably larger ‘bites’ without indigestion.

The bad news. I’m pretty sure that Mathworks MATLAB will rewrite TIFF files to user specified strips. I have friends that use MATLAB but I’m not enough of a masochist to do so.

Back