What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems with levels

jaydubya

Hi gurus

I?m trying to clean up some engineering drawings that have been saved in bitmap / tiff format. When I open the files I convert the image to grayscale so that I can erase marks, add text etc. No matter what I try however I can?t manage to adjust the levels. This is really important as the drawings are mostly old and faded. Photoshop seems to go through the motions on screen but when I try to accept the changes it reverts to the original levels. It?s the same using brightness/contrast, levels or curves. I?ve tried saving and re-opening the image as tiff, psd and jpg. I?ve tried new duplicate layers as well as cutting and pasting to new ?clean? layer. I?ve even tried converting from 8-bit to 16-bit.

It was suggested that the tiff format might have something to do with it but I have no control over that and besides, surely Photoshop can manipulate all image types. Incidentally I have no trouble working with images and other line art, only these engineering drawings.

I?m sure there must be a simple explanation but so far no one has been able to help me find it. Anyone out there got some ideas?

jw

Back