What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Program error - older vs. newer PSDs?

Sometimes

I fired up PS today to make some changes to an older PSD I have. I've never had a problem with PS not being able to open this specific file before, on any version of PS since I created it about 4 years ago. After I tested out a variety of PSDs that I have created recently, all of them seem to open fine. So I'm curious if I'm having an issue with older PSD files or am I having a totally different issue here?

I'm on windows 10.

Thanks in advance.

Capture.JPG

Hello and welcome to PSG.

Sorry, but your post was one that slipped by me.............it happens.

So this is only happening on one PSD file and not others?

You could upload the file here to see if any of us can open the file, save it, and see if you can open it then.

Thank you for the reply IamSam.

Here is the PSD I am trying to open. I just tried it several times, and get the same error.

This is happening on several PSDs, not just this one. All of them are older PSDs that error.

Should I reset preferences? What might be the cause?

Thanks in advance IamSam.

Attachments

• Test_vest_big_01_df.psd
    4.7 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Opened fine for me. I saved it out of CC2017. Give it a try.

Attachments

• Test_vest_big_01_df.psd
    4.6 MB · Views: 3
Thank you JJLAPIN.

Unfortunately, it gave me the same error.

I'm using CC2018, I just don't understand what could be preventing me from opening it.

I am able to open the file in CC2018

On a hunch I have re-saved the file having converted the fonts to Ariel.

See if the file now opens.

I did this because Photoshop is wanting to make some font substitutions to your file.

If my attached version of your file opens - it may be because of the font issues.

A number of people have noticed that text functions are working significantly differently in 2018 - I believe Adobe released a further update to fix many of these issues - make sure you have the very latest version of CC2018.

You can load version CC2017 - which many people are sticking with because of problems.

Best of luck

Cheers

John

Attachments

• Test_vest_big_01_df v2.psd
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
Thank you fredfish.

The file did open in CC2018 and I think you've addressed the issue.

I'm certain I have the most recent version of CC2018 19.0 and no updates are available.

I thank you.

Hi Sometimes

Here is a shot in the dark suggestion. Try turning off all graphics acceleration. Not sure how that would be related to fonts yet I also believe that give the large diversity of GPUs and the bugs they can cause, it is an easy thing to try by chaning settings in preferences and restarting Photoshop. That would indicate that a newer GPU driver would be needed from the manufacturer. Here is a link with an example of a similar error message that stopped by turning off the GPU: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2400541

Thank for the suggestion thebestcpu.

I did uncheck my card from the performance tab in preferences, and restarted PS. My GPU drivers are up to date, but yet the same error appears when i try to open the PSD, unfortunately.

ARGH!
Test.JPG

Back