What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

protecting digital content

gizmo

Subject: ownership protection for both, online and printed photoshop images

First of all, is it even possible? This is my first time posting here. Before showing PS images online, I would like to know if there is a standard method (watermark, etc) the forum members depend on to help protect digital content ownership? Is there a recommended step-by-step tutorial available? My mission is to find the most effective way to do this. Thanks for replies.

Hello and welcome.

You can watermark any work but the only way to truly protect your work will be to NOT post it on the internet at all. Most watermarking can easily be defeated if someone wants to do so.

I would like to know if there is a standard method (watermark, etc) the forum members depend on to help protect digital content ownership?
Not really. Some watermarks can take longer to erase, but overall it's not that effective. I don't want to discourage you at all, you should at least make the effort to watermark your work so that only the truly relentless will make the effort to photoshop out the watermark and "borrow your work".

This style requires some work to defeat, but it would be fairly simple to remove.....
Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 9.12.52 PM.png

But this one makes it almost impossible to remove. It does distract from the image but it's very effective.
Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 9.12.07 PM.png

It's said that stroking your watermark makes it much harder to remove. I'm not sure it helps much.
Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 9.18.56 PM.png

Some suggest this style. With reduced opacity and strategic placement, it's considered to be hidden. But it's one of the easiest to remove.
Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 1.23.52 AM.png

Watermarking is not a guarantee that your work is protected.

You could watch these videos and learn what watermarks would be harder to remove: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Photoshop+removing+watermarks

I think that semi-effective watermarking interferes too much with the image and can still be removed. The best solution is to not post any images larger than 500 pixels in either dimension and lower resolution. In that size, it's too small to reproduce effectively.

Back