What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS 7.0

{OZ}

things are gonna get more complicated tho...

this is how you do it in ver 5, in ver 5.5 you do this but in ver 6 you have this and in ver 7 you gotta do this.. oh lord!! [confused]

kiwi

Guru
Hmmmm I still did not see 16 bit layers :(

Stu.

theKeeper

Guru
Nope... no 16bit layer support yet... crap!

I'll probably be letting go of any PS4 support in my tutes when v7 comes out. And i won't be mentioning PS5.5 much anymore either.

I've skirted around talking specifically about any ONE version for most of my site's existance. But with such major changes coming into v6 & 7... i think i'll be needing to start addressing some of these new functions & abilities.

So... sorry now to anyone using an older version. [oops]

{OZ}

hmmm

16 bit layers? the ones we are using are 8 bits? whats the difference? whats the advantage? which program uses 16 bit layers currently? [confused]

OZ

sfm

Guru
kiwi said:
Hmmmm I still did not see 16 bit layers :(

Stu.

you don't see but can you feel it? [confused] he he he
sfm

sfm

Guru
he he he :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I thought of it last night but I was too tired to do anything about it so this morning I got my PS working bright n early [confused]

I mean we have to help the poor chap don't we [tease] ha ha ha B7

Erik

Guru
my idea: I will not upgrade.

PS6 does already a lot more than I need and I won't spend yet another lot of money before I can't do what I want to do with version6.

Most of what Ben Wilmore writes is about changed places where to find what and some add ons.

The thing I see as interesting is the new brushes palette, and that's all. But that's not worth several hundred dollars.

The file browser is a PS version of Irfanview or XNView, both freeware, and reliable, etc etc.
And I've never even opened Imageready as I make my slices the old way.

No, there is nothing spectacularly new and "can't live without it" in PS7. When even Ben talks about "handy" and "wish I could set my own prefs here"...

It's not because Adobe needs money that I'm gonna give mine to them. my idea.

kiwi

Guru
Ya I am wondering whether to upgrade or not too Erik.The healing brush and patch brush are things I can do now fairly reliably,and the rest is pretty cosmetic.Unless Adobe make some more changes I think there will be some crap come their way .

Must go and check out the feedback in the Adobe users group on 7 :)

Mark damn thats a lot of new tutes bud [confused]

Oz in your goodies folder for 6 there is an image of a waterfall,its in 16 bit color,when you find it open it and change it back to 8 bit and just watch what happens to the image quality from 16 to 8:)

Stu.

Erik

Guru
Oz, it goes like this:

On the backside of the screen of your monitor is a tight maze of small lightsensitive dots. These come in groups of three, a Red, a Green and a Blue one, and are called phosphor triplets. Give them electricity and they light up.

Now electricity can have an infinite number between zero and maximum, so your monitor can display a nearly infinite number of colours.

But your comp must tell your monitor where it wants which intensity of R,G andB to make one colour dot. This asks a lot of calculating power.
The easiest is simply on and off. But that's not much, is it?

So little by little they came to 256 values, starting with 0 (off) and 255 (max) and 254 in between. This number is not chosen at random. Because a comp only can count with zero and one (two values), you get 256 when you give 8 bits to each colour.

from 00000000 to 11111111 going by
00000001,00000011,10010011 etc etc. Try it out is you want you get 256 possibilities.

Or just take my word for it.
Practically speaking this means that and Red, and Green and Blue each have 256 possible different settings of intensity, so added together this gives you the 16 etc million colours.

But nowadays processors and video cards are so powerful that they can double this rate and give 16 bits per "channel". This will be a visible improvement as there will be an awful lot more hues that can be displayed, and, for example, gradients won't show banding anymore.
But you need a powerful comp like all new machines are, with a 32MB video card.

To get an impression why Stu and Mark (and me) are so disillusioned about this, set your monitor to display only 256 colours. You'll see the difference. And 8 to 16 is yet again a big improvement.

{OZ}

Stu, yeah got that waterfall image. its name is Waterfall(16bit).tif, right? I changed it to 8 bits/channel and no visible change has happened

and then I opened Dune.tif. its automatically marked 8bits/channel..well I didnt expect the quality to improve much when I changed it to 16 bits/channel and it didnt...

yeah Erik when I cahnged my display to 256 colors, that image looked like crap but then again all my images look like crap in 256 color mode... my display is set to 32bits and I have a 32 megs video card... myabe I can see some difference if i set my display to 16 bits..

so where I am going is that 16 bit "layers", 16 bit "channels" all refer to the same thing, 16 bit colors??

kiwi

Guru
Hmm ok Oz not sure about that one,it definitely looks less quality orientated when I down sample to 8 from 16,as for the rest Erik knows a lot more about this.

Here is a reply to the question of 16 bit layers from Jeff Schewe on the Adobe users group.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff Schewe - 09:15am Feb 24, 2002 Pacific (#5 of 52)

Jim,

Nothing more for 16 bit this version I'm afraid, but tons of new workflow capability. The Healing Brush does work in 16 bit as well as the new Auto Color command (which actually works rather well).

Those of us who really want more 16 bit functionality need to make a lot of noise about more functionality in future versions. But believe me when I say the engineers where very busy on the 7.0 feature set as it was, so we'll just need to keep asking till they hear us.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So boys and gals we aint getting 16 bit functionality [sleepy]

Stu.

{OZ}

hmm well thats a bummer...

so do you know of any other program that offers 16 bit ??

kiwi

Guru
Hahahahaaa when doesnt he....hahahaaaa :rofl:........

Stu.

Erik

Guru
Yeah, I know it sounded a little techie, but to free myself from having to think what's gonna happen when I do this or that, I wanted to get familiar with things.
So I discovered that Photoshop is a greyscale app. That it simple adds three greysale images together (in RGB mode that is) and that each greyscale image in turn activates the Red, Green and Blue dots on my monitor to give me the illusion of colour.
I felt cheated, but had this ahaa experience about Channels.
And because masks are also treated like greyscale images, I wanted to learn all I could about them greys, leading me to 256 different shades of grey etc.

And this made me feel comfortable with PS as ALL is based on this: greyscale.
I now do lots of work on the channels and this is faaar easier than trying to figure out why for example the magic wand often makes these odd selections etc etc.
By painting on each separate channel with burn and dodge, you can make colour images. And you don't cheat, do you, Stu?

ApWizard

ok... i read the new features and i can't tranquilize meselfffffffffffffffffffffffffff...i am happpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy:D [excited] :perfect: ;) [honesty] [honesty]

ok after that ;-)

mark what do u think about new features... esecially DUAL BRUSH, AUTO COLOR and the HEALING BRUSH?