What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS vs AI vs ID - Which is the best for what?

ElizabethM

Hey!

This is a topic that has been going back and forth in my head for a while now, without any solid conclusion. So I thought why not get some season Adobe user's input! Haha I recently read an article that posted this picture:

Design-App-Chart-01-1.jpg

It explained to me the basic difference between these softwares. But I started thinking about magazines that had special blends or photo designs or some sort of "wow" effect element, and I wondered which software is used now?

For example, if design something in Photoshop and then add it to InDesign by placing the image or PSD file there, would it still retain the high quality or is there some other method I have't learned yet?

Or if I am designing an invitation like for a wedding in Illustrator and want to work with some special effects in Photoshop, would I then copy the vector elements from Illustrator to Photoshop, or place my Photoshop work into Illustrator? What becomes my final file? Jungling between softwares is still relatively new for me to be honest.

My main question is, what is really the best software for ____ design?'
I made an invitation card the other day, that needed Photoshop because I was placing various photo elements together (almost like a scrapbook) but a whole debate started on whether to print it directly from a Photoshop PDF or insert the whole file first in InDesign and print from there. On one hand I think A might be the solution, but then B looks promising too and then comes a C solution and truthfully I just get really confused. Help? Haha

I realise that different people result to different work methods, and google can give me a general "Do's and Don't" list, but I would like to hear some person POV's just to understand it a little more if that is okay! :D

Side question: (I hope this is on topic...) If I work on Illustrator, does it really matter if I save it as an AI file or an EPS? Because I normally save it as both for back up, since that's how all the vector elements that I download come as. Most articles online talk about how it may not really matter which you work with, but I can't find one as of right now that explains it without getting way to techical. :unsure:

Back