What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pshop Patter into AI

What kind of pattern? What are you planning on doing with it? Anything is possible, but raster patterns are going to be harder to work with than vector shapes.

It is a brick pattern, psd that I made in pshop. I am creating a logo and they want the house to be brick. So I created the brick in pshop but failed to realize I can't get that pattern into AI. Grrrr.... :(|

Ok I searched the help files again...no help. I even made the psd an ai file but I don't see how to bring this into AI and add it as a pattern. Kind of like my gradient problem. I find no way to bring a new gradient in. Maybe I am not thinking on the right page with all of this I don't know. I guess I will have to take the ai file to pshop, add the pattern, make a gif and bring it back into AI. :(| :(|

No no no... .gifs are bad. Don't do that.

I'm still not EXACTLY sure what you need but I have a pretty good idea what you're trying to do. I don't think you're going to be able to pull the pattern in the way that you want to. What I would probably suggest is that you do one of these things:

1. Create a document and fill it with your pattern and then save that as TIFF and import that into Illustrator. This will make your Illustrator file large.

2. Create a pattern in Illustrator instead, this will give you more flexability.

3. Create a document in Photoshop that is the exact size of the patter and place one piece of the repeating pattern in it, then save it as a TIFF. Place this TIFF in an Illustrator document (make sure it's embedded) and then create a symbol out of it. Then you can have as many as you want without the major size increase.

I'll see if there is a way to work more cross app later, but I'm doubting it since AI doesn't use the same kind of library system for it's presets that Photoshop does.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks for the info MB!! I tried to make the pattern in AI but some of the filters I need are not available :{ That seems to be the best way to do it. Maybe I can use the filters AI has and come up with something.

any one else have any ideas?

golly my head still hurts MB after reading that lot he he he
must be the reason why I don't use the program that much :D that and time to learn it's capabilities ;\ sigh

hope all goes well Linda, I know you will keep going at it :}
sfm

Thanks Sue. I have been trying but I cannot achieve the same effect in AI that I have in pshop since all filters are not available. Not sure what I am going to do but I won't give up. :D Just had two more paying jobs come up so my plate is getting quite full. With this hurricane being a pain things are a bit crazy around here right now. I could have some serious down time after tomorrow, yikes!! Major if it blows my house apart. :(| :(|

Is that thing still trying to blow it's way around? [doh]
well if it does blow your house away you and hubby collect the insurance and move our way (I could do with a hand ;\ )

I am afraid that with AI I have imported paths and gone from there still not doing very much but the printers often wanted an ai file so they got it :D

my last printing job (screen printing) is/has currently gone off without a hitch! and in record time as I had saved the pds files in coloured layers for them he he he [shhh]
sfm

Back