What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quality Printing

CAYO

hey guys!

i don't know if PSG covers this, but how can i print the quality of what i see in on my screen. (actually this is my moms prob.) i only do the photo retouching for her.

the prints doesn't match the qualty on screen. on screen, it looks better.

thanks once again to every guru in here!

CAYO

First question is: did you calibrate your monitor? If so, when in RGB mode, create a greyscale ramp with four hues: draw a rectangular selection, and fill it with black (0,0,0) the next one with dark grey (64,64,64), another one with medium grey (128,128,128) and a last one with light grey (192,192,192). Print this on the paper you use for the photographs (I do hope you use photo quality paper!), let dry then scan it again. Uuse the measure tool set to a few pixels and look at what those printed values do in Photoshop. Also measure the white" of the paper this way. The measured values "should" be identical. If they aren't, adjust your printer soft untill it matches and save this as your setting for this paper.

Do keep in mind that a monitor will always look brighter as it displays light colours, while print has to do with only reflected light. Also, four inks just cannot match what RGB has to offer.

One last remark: except when your printer software explicitely says it needs sRGB, use AbobeRGB, Matches print much better.

if your touching up in rgb and have a cmyk printer that could be a problem and visa versa

Hi CAYO,

Are you using Windows or Mac?

What problem are you having. Do the colors change from your monitor to your printer? In that case profiling the monitor is the first step.

Is the print just looking sort of crude and washed out? Could it be the resolution at which the image is saved? To get a good print you generally need at least 240dpi but never more than 360dpi for ink jet printing. I just save all my print files at 300dpi.

So what kind of printer is being used. What is the resolution of the files? Are the photos from digital cameras?

Info, we need info! ;)

Back