What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about displays

neolite

I'm looking to purchase a larger display. Currently I have a 15" LCD. I am looking to get either a 17" or 19". The only criteria is that the monitor must Rotate from portrait to landscape. I also write code and want to be able to display full-lenth pages of data.

Can someone recommend a good make/model? I don't want to get a 19" just because it's the biggest. I want people's opinions on whether it is necessary or is the 17" sufficient.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Neolite

I have a 17" LCD display and its great for a lot of things, including some Photoshop work. Remember that LCDs are a lot brighter and will display colors differently than the standard CRT monitors that most people use. But LCDs look a lot cooler, take up less space, and its my opinion that the color looks a lot nicer on them. If you are doing anything professionally, you may be better off investing in a 21" CRT, which--because most new monitors are LCDs--, are dropping in price. I got mine for about $115 from a reseller(compare to $700 for my LCD), and its a great monitor(21 inches is huge, and allows me to have Photoshop and Dreamweaver open at the same time). It won't rotate from portrait to landscape, and I know of no other monitor that will. Also, LCD technology hasn't quite caught up to CRTs, because they havent been around as long. What are you going to use it primarily for?

Monitor usage...

I use it mostly to write code (VS.NET, SQL Server, Dreamweaver MX). I have a few projects where I am also responsible for designing the graphics (photoshop).

Like most of us - I always seem to be out of room. I want to be able to spread things out a bit.

When it comes to coding, I want to have as much viewing length as possible so I can see larger sections of the code at a time.

I'm currently running a Viewsonic P95f+B http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_p75fplusb.htm, at 1200x1600, and a scan rate of 85Hz. Very clean and sharp. Little fatigue. Have used it for web-style coding where I'm looking at long lines of javaScript and HTML.. I'm very happy with its performance in PS and FLASH using a Radeon7000.

I have second monitor (cheapo 17") that's used for file directory and file management almost exclusively. I love it and wouldn't trade it for the world, but it did take some getting used to.

Good luck with the decision and let us know what you get!

Back