What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recipe for Sepia

Lynny

Does anyone have a special way of making a colour or black and white photo, sepia, I have done it a couple of times with tutorials, but can't remember the recipe.

Lynny

Try your actions palette Lynny :) ,there is usually a sepia action you can load from the menu.

Stu.

Lynny, this is my "quick & dirty" method...

1. Image->Adjustments->Desaturate (to turn it into a grayscale or B+W)
2. Image->Adjustments->Hue/Saturation (click "colorize" and play with the various sliders to achieve the sepia look that you're after)
3. Image->Adjustments->Curves to bring up the highlights and tone down the mid-low tones (if necessary).
4. Filter->Noise->Add Noise->Gaussian (to bring in a little "old-tyme" graininess)

Q+D Example:

Yeppers, that's the way I do it most of the time Wendy, but I leave out step #1.

Another "quick n dirty" way to sepia (among other things) is to use gradient maps. You can create a gradient with the sepia tone ramp you want and simply apply it as a gradient map or as a gradient map adjustment layer (my personal choice).

I generally use the other method that was mentioned, but the nice thing about this is that it lets you experiment with your settings without touching your original image at all (also, you can do other funky special effects this way)

Just another option.

Now I know I posted a thank you for this one, gremlins must have eaten it..... Thank you everyone, I have tried all your suggestions.... I like the way there at least 2 or 3 ways to do something.

Lynny

MindBender said:
but the nice thing about this is that it lets you experiment with your settings without touching your original image at all
If you add a Hue&Saturation adjustment layer you're not touching the original either ;)

My method is a bit more complicated:
I first set to greyscale mode, then to duotone. The first colour, black, can be clicked on and the picker appears. For the second colour, you have to check the picker box.

You can set any series of two, three or four colours here, and of each one you have a curve at your disposal.

The method is indeed not that quick, but the options are nearly limitless. And, what's more: you do have an immediate preview.

Gaussian ? *hangs head in shame* I know... I thought of that after I had posted and already shut off my computer. doh!

wbiss ? sometimes if you use the L from Lab you will get good results right away instead of having to worry about curves or levels

Erik ? I'm not a big fan of working in duatone if I'm just experimenting with an image, but if you were going to go to press with that, you are spot on (no pun intended)

There is no limit to experimentation. On the contrary: people always limit themselves far too much.
Not only offers duotone an incredible range of options (also if it's not for printing), but CMYK channels and LAB are often invaluable.
But everyone's free to choose his/her own boundaries of course.

B7 Cool! Good info Erik & MindBender! :perfect: I'm always happy to experiment and find new ways of accomplishing anything! [excited]

Duotone, yes, need to have a look at that too; I'm always open to new ideas. Thanks Erik ;)

Only this: you can use the colour picker, but then you have to set back to named colours afterwards (Pantone,...). If you get a bit used to it, you can use the ink colours as well as any other colour system.

To get Giger-like colours, set your first colour to black, check you have the Pantone book open, and if yes, type 4515. (it corresponds with LAB 68/0/30).

In stead of working with the file in duotone, I change to LAB mode as it allows me to change the lightness separated from the colour information.

Another experiment consists in playing with CMYK channels. Much can be done... Note that in duotone you have one channel, RGB gives you three, Lab also three (one lightness of great importance) and CMYK four, and none of these eleven is identical.

For example this one: CMYK with some inverted channels.

Ah, that's real nice, Erik! :perfect: Time for me do some "experimenting" per your methods! :D

wow totally awesome Erik!! that looks great :D :D

Yes Eric neat effect...

Thank you all again...

Lynny

Back