What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing White Specks

Hannah

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the best way to remove white specks from an image on photoshop please?

The image is a photograph of an oil painting (photographed with permission), but light glare from the room has caused very small, but frequent, white pixels. The patches are literally only a few pixels wide, but if I was to print the image out in the size I want they would definitely be noticeable!

The burn tool is altering the colour of the 'correct' parts too much, so my only idea so far is to manually change each pixel colour with the eyedropper (which I imagine will take hours).

Has anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Hannah

Hello and welcome.

It's hard to tell what it is your referring to without an image. What you describe as specks may turn out to be something else.

However, if it's specks, I would use the Spot Healing Brush Tool set to content aware on a new layer.

I agree with Iamsam that seeing the original you are working with would allow forum members to better target recommendations.

One factor to always consider is starting with the best original image you can get. If there is the possibility to go back and get a better photograph with different/better lighting, you might save yourself time. In taking pictures of existing images (paintings etc), I have found that if any flash photography is taken from most any angle, unless you inspect the image carefully on the spot, you can go back and find "spots" due to the subtle ridges from the oil paint. One trick I have used is more natural lighting (no flash), using a tripod and then doing color corrections as needed later.

If you don't have the option of going back for another shot, sharing the image would be helpful.
John Wheeler

Back