What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safety of downloading PSD file from Stranger

shanti771

Help Please!
I need to open a PSD file I was sent through email. Is there a way to make sure the file is not going to give my NEW computer a virus or something. I have Photoshop so that's not a problem but I don't want to download it until I can scan it somehow. Does anyone know how to do this or have another brilliant idea for how to make sure its safe??

puraidodes

Why would you want to download a .psd file from a Stranger?

I don't think I have ever seen a .psd file with a virus. Maybe if it is zipped and bundled up with another.exe or a batch file.
If you use Google services, Gmail automatically scans for viruses when it is attached(unless it is zipped and password protected)

If you still want to open the file you have to download it and scan it using any Anti-virus removal software or use Virus total page.

polarwoc

Guru
You can open the PSD file using Irfanview, ACD See or other image viewer software where you can see the composite image without being able to see layers. That way, you can be certain the PSD is definitely an image file.

JeffK

Guru
Good tips above. Also make sure file name only has .psd extension and not .exe at the end.
If you have antivirus software - which you should - you can right click on the file and choose "Scan with (software name)"
If you don't have antivirus software - which you should - you can upload the file to VirusTotal that will use 41 different antivirus/malware scanners to check the file.

shanti771

Its for a job. The file was too large for google services to scan.

Irfanview/ image viewer software- Iv never used this before. It will show the image, and if the file is an image that makes it safe??

I don't have an antivirus software - I guess I should - I have a Mac and thought that I didn't need it because apple has good security? Im pretty novice with a lot of tech stuff is that not right?

polarwoc

Guru
Irfanview/ image viewer software- Iv never used this before. It will show the image, and if the file is an image that makes it safe??
Instead of double clicking the PSD file, you would either 1) open the Image viewing software, go to Open File within its menu and select the PSD or 2) Right click and choose Open With while selecting the Image Viewing software. Since these Image Viewing software do not concern themselves with the complications of layers or any executable portions and just focus on displaying the image, there is little fear of a malware attack. Mind you, I said 'little fear' and not 'no fear'. Having said that, like Puraidodes said, I have not heard of a PSD file capable of infecting.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello. Here's my two cents worth of opinion on the matter. As everyone else has commented, I have never seen or heard of a .PSD file that carried a virus, however I would not go out on a limb and say that it's not possible. And, as it's been suggested above, the only way I think it might happen is if an .EXE file were zipped into a bundle.

Having said this................I work with unknown clients on a weekly basis with whom I exchange .PSD files. I would never transfer and open files from an email. I only use email for type written communications only with links if needed. Any and all of my file transfers go through internet hosting sites that scan for viruses. There are many to choose from.

shanti771

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me!

Instead of double clicking the PSD file, you would either 1) open the Image viewing software, go to Open File within its menu and select the PSD or 2) Right click and choose Open With while selecting the Image Viewing software. Since these Image Viewing software do not concern themselves with the complications of layers or any executable portions and just focus on displaying the image, there is little fear of a malware attack. Mind you, I said 'little fear' and not 'no fear'. Having said that, like Puraidodes said, I have not heard of a PSD file capable of infecting.

shanti771

Having said this................I work with unknown clients on a weekly basis with whom I exchange .PSD files. I would never transfer and open files from an email. I only use email for type written communications only with links if needed. Any and all of my file transfers go through internet hosting sites that scan for viruses. There are many to choose from.

Thank you! That is exactly what Im trying to figure out. Safely sending and receiving files PSD, PNG, AI, etc. with unknown clients.

Internet hosting sites: I have used WeTransfer, google drive but that I know of they don't scan for viruses? What do you use/recommend?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What do you use/recommend?
I prefer not to make a personal recommendation. I think it's prudent for each of us to do our homework to find out which of the internet based hosting sites offers encryption and virus scans that will meet our own individual needs. You also need to decide if you want to use a free or paid service.

I do know that WeTransfer doesn't encrypt or scan for viruses.