What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

saving w mask

nickyk

Hi, I've been cleaning up dust and scratches from a scanned negative, and I have a mask in the layer I'm working on, so I can go back and reveal some of the scratches, if I want. I'm afraid to save the image for fear the mask will no longer be able to access the original image once it's saved, closed, and re-opened. Am I crazy!?!?!

Thanks

Saving the file as a PSD will preserve all layers and masks.
Saving as a JPEG or PNG will flatten the image...

Saving the file as a PSD will preserve all layers and masks.
I second this. The PSD format will preserve everything.

Save as a PSD file then come back and "save as" for a .jpg etc.

TIFF will also remember masks and additional channels - where you can also save mask, and size of the file will be smaller. You can also use lossless LZW compression ;)

Thanks!! Sorry, i should have also mention i opened this image from Ligjtroom and i think saving, automatically generates a tif. I can of course save-as but would have to re- import to lr i think. But if tif is good then i’m good.

Best solution is to test this on another image, because tiff can save masks and even smart objects, but doesn't have to. I mean that software may to choose to flatten tiff file.

ahhhhh yes. That makes excellent sense. Thank you! You've revealed my original fear, not expressed well. Lightroom, as you say, will likely flatten the image. I believe so. OK. Cheers.

Back