What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selection Layers

danglez83

I have an image that has many sections in it. I created a PSD file that contains all of the possible section selections saved within it. Now, the purpose of this file is to be able to quickly modify the color of each of the possible sections on the image (basically a designer). I can create a new layer, load the associated selection, and then change the color - this works fine, but I am looking for some efficiency tweaks. Is it possible to have a layer ALWAYS consist of a specific selection so that I can just go to the layer, delete the current color, and then apply a new color without ever losing the layer's selection? In other words, every layer would always have its associated selection active so that I can quickly change the colors. Right now I do the following:

1. Select a layer
2. Ctrl+A and Delete (clear any existing color)
3. Load the associated selection
4. Fill selection with paint bucket

1. Select next layer and repeat...

Would love to just store the associated selection on its respective layer so that I could:

1. Select a layer
2. Fill selection with paint bucket (overwriting any color that may be there originally)

Is this possible?

You can do it with layer masks. In the screenshot below, I have three Color Fill layers set to red, yellow and green. Each of these layers has a layer mask that makes the color appear in desired shapes, only where I want them. Once the layer masks exist, I can always come back later to re-open the Color Fill adjustment layer and change the color to something else.

In your case, use your existing saved selections to create individual layer masks for all of your "sections".

Also, you don't need to use Color Fill layers. The technique works exactly the same for normal layers.

1680282949169.png

You can do it with layer masks. In the screenshot below, I have three Color Fill layers set to red, yellow and green. Each of these layers has a layer mask that makes the color appear in desired shapes, only where I want them. Once the layer masks exist, I can always come back later to re-open the Color Fill adjustment layer and change the color to something else.

In your case, use your existing saved selections to create individual layer masks for all of your "sections".

Also, you don't need to use Color Fill layers. The technique works exactly the same for normal layers.
Awesome, thank you!

Back