What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selection options greyed out with lasso tool selection

gloss123

Hi Guys

been a Photoshop user for many many years now but not come across this issue before. I am working on a map for my wifes job and have selected the area I need on my map using the lasso tool, it took awhile but the area is now selected. What I want to do is select the inverse area but when i right click, or try the select drop down menu all the select options are greyed out, any one any ideas why these options are not available please. I have attache a screen grab.

Screen shot.jpg

Did you open the file from Lightroom?

It took me a while, but I was able to replicate your problem: you are trying to do two different things simultaneously. You have an active selection, but at the same time your cursor is active in the color picker, where you have chosen a dark blue color. You can't simultaneously be in the color picker and also do commands on your selection. Choose the color first and close out of the color picker, and then your selection commands should come back.

I'm not sure Rich.........I tried that as well while I was trying to re-create the problem. I can't re-create your situation. If I have an active selection and opened a menu, I still have a options. When I click on the Color panel the options menu on the canvas disappears. It makes no difference what I do in color panel, I still have full options when I right click back on my selection. I don't understand the simultaneous part.

Can you explain how you did it?

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 6.04.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 6.10.34 PM.png

Here's what I did:
  1. Open an image and create a selection using the lasso tool.
  2. With the selection active, open the color picker. Click on a color within the color picker, but do not hit the OK button in the color picker.
  3. Click on the Select menu. All the selection commands are now grayed-out because (I think) Photoshop is waiting for you to hit OK on your selected color.
ScreenShot.jpg

OK. I see.....thanks. It works with the color picker. But in the OP's sample image (screenshot) he does not have the color picker open. The color panel is visible on the upper right. The right click menu is greyed out. I'm still not certain as to what caused this. I have found some bug issues in CC 20.0.1 when images are opened with Lightroom that cause menu's to be greyed out. That's all I could find.

Back