What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shape Tool Problem

aldente

Having an issue with the shape tool in CS5. All of the shape presets are fine and I can draw them without issue, but the elliptical preset just "places" the elliptical at a preset size as soon as I go to draw it. Feels like a glitch but before I un and re-install, figured I'd check to see if this is a shared issue.
Photo shows larger ellipse which was just placed automatically as soon as I clicked the canvas.
Thanks in advance. -Al dente.
El Cap, Mac Pro 2008, CS5

Shape tool problem.jpg

I'm assuming we are referring to the Custom Shape Tool correct?

If this is the only custom shape preset that's not working, delete it and make a new one.

Perhaps a deletion and reinstall of the entire preset shape file is in order. Any idea if it is the "Shapes.csh" file in the "Preset/Custom Shapes" folder?

Perhaps a deletion and reinstall of the entire preset shape file is in order. Any idea if it is the "Shapes.csh" file in the "Preset/Custom Shapes" folder?
No!

The Ellipse Tool is not a preset for the Custom Shape Tool. It is a native Shape Tool in Photoshop. You can reset the tool, but re-installing the presets will have no affect at all.

If you just click and you don't drag the Ellipse Tool, it will (or should) ask you for dimensions.

To reset the Ellipse Tool, choose it and right click on the Tools icon in the upper left hand corner of the tools option panel and choose "reset tool".

If this does not work, reset your prefs.

How to reset Photoshop preferences (In Windows):
First, hold down all three Ctrl + Alt + Shift buttons. Now "while keeping those button held," simply open Photoshop or a file that opens with Photoshop, and as Photoshop loads, you should get a prompt asking if you would like to "delete the Photoshop settings file", Click yes

On a Mac, hold Shift + Option + Command while starting Photoshop to delete the preferences.

Back