What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spiro Tute - how about a glassball or a golfball ?

JustStarting

Slowly working through things as per groups suggestions :)

Anybody want to put this in a cool glass sphere ? I think that would look sweet.

Oh and has anyone tried to make a golf ball in Photoshop ?

/cheers

Sanby

Power User
That looks really great, nice and clean design.

Sorry, I haven't tried the goldball but I am sure there are a bunch here that can help you out with that.

Sanby

JustStarting

Thanks pdog182 !

Looks like a well layed out tute for the beginners like me, very nice :)

One thing though, I would really like to see a more accurate looking golf ball, espcially the dimples.

If you look at any modern golfball they all have "dimples" and somewhat unique patterns that those dimples are clustered in.

Ill try the Tute for sure :perfect:

Alistair

Guru
Ahhh, GOLF BALL!!! I SWARE I saw an old thread around here wehere a guy used a golf ball tute. Well, gotta find it. Hmm, I'll give it a go with the sphere.

pdog182

One thing though, I would really like to see a more accurate looking golf ball, espcially the dimples.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I looked around, but most of the golf ball tutorials are meant for Photoshop along with a 3D Program, like studiomax or lightwave.

I'll keep my eyes open though. [innocent]

Alistair

Guru
really pdog? Hmm, thanks! I think it sucks... I think this because I can't make it round with the spherize filter, since.. well I think the middle of that circle messes everything up, I don't know [confused] But thanks :)

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I think the ball in the tute would be better if we created a bigger dot pattern. I find them too small and the dot positions are not like a golf ball.

Take the emoticons on the left of this window- double the spaces and line up the even rows so the first emoticon on one row would be in the middle of the first and second emoticon of the upper row. And so on....

My crazy two cents or no sense at all? :rofl:

vee

theKeeper

Guru
Alistair said:
...I can't make it round with the spherize filter, since.. well I think the middle of that circle messes everything up, I don't know [confused]
Well that's exactly the right time to just go off and make it something completely new Alistair. ;)

"Work-around" is the catch phrase of the day, in this case. [slick]

PS: oh... and in case anyone is curious about this effect... i still have the source PSD file. Perhaps i should... ;) (nudge nudge wink wink)

wbiss

Guru
Oh SWEET Mark! :D :perfect: :perfect:

JustStarting

WOW That is amazing, you guys and gals are guru's for sure !!

Its beyond me how you can so quickly produce such awesome effects.

How long did that take you to make Mark ?

(I really want to skip ahead to the sphere tute now)

/cheers !

sfm

Guru
wow Mark that is brilliant......... I loved what Juststarted did and you have turned it into something completely different wow

now stop wink winking and nudge nudging and write that tute! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
sfm

theKeeper

Guru
Gee, thanks guys. [honesty]

The effect itself is quite simple to make.
Would take less than 30 minutes. I took about an hour because i was playing around with things.

Here's a link to the source PSD file should anyone care to examine it: Spiro Glass Ball.zip

The only tough part about most effects is not the steps involved... but understanding what properties and characteristics an effect has, that makes it look the way it does.

One of the steps to that effect is taking a photo, spherizing it, setting it's Blend Mode to Screen, and lowering it's Opacity level. All of these are simple to understand and do, if you were reading them in a tute.
The tough part is, knowing ahead of time that a spherized reflection is naturally part of creating a glass sphere effect. After you have that knowledge, it's usually quite simple to reproduce the effect in PS.

Get it?
And that's something people have to just know themselves. And that knowledge can only be gotten by simply observing the world around us. ;)