What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

suggestions wanted

scorpion

i am trying to make a pixel border box as a news box for my webby. but doesn't look great at the moment can anyone suggest some things i could do to improve upon it?
1 thing i would like to know is : as u can see at the top i am trying to make it look like its cut out with a bar goin across how can i define it so it looks more obvious?

Scorpion, the idea of art should be that it should express something and that's also how ideas start to develop. Until now I don't think that any of us exectly know what your intentions are.
I mean, designing a banner for a retail store that sells literature is something totally different than making a banner for a site where people talk about music ;)

So maybe you can give us some hints. :)

the main thing i want to do is define the box at the top more where it cuts to the bar? but i just want to know if there are any effects i should add aswell to improve it.

Scorpion, what you need to do, in order to explain yourself more clearly, is localize the area that you speak of by encircling it in your example. :) I, too, am at a bit of a loss as to what you mean by
as u can see at the top i am trying to make it look like its cut out with a bar goin across how can i define it so it looks more obvious?
[confused] My first thought is that you're refering to the 'inset' area and if that's the case, you just have to differentiate that area from the rest of the pic by adjusting the contrast and (perhaps) giving that area a 'harder edge'. ;)

As for improvement, that's very much a matter of 'taste' (dependent on the rest of the page) and exactly what kind of effect you're after!

I'm guessing [confused] that Scorpion means something like this... This was knocked up very quickly, but is this the area you are referring to, in order to make that top inset bar stand out more? Or are you wanting to do an effect on the little bar. If so, it is much the same process as achieving this.

Anyway, not sure what you meant, but thought i'd try to figure it out ;)

[stuned] You're a mind reader too Bubble! Good guessing and good work! :perfect:

looks like all that was done was changed the either the hue or contrast of the surround border....it being darker, pushes what you want to stand out, well, stand out!!!

If im not mistaken?

first think I noticed that can be fixed is the "pixels" aren't the same size and don't line up. change the rectangular selection tool to fixed size and use the guides (blue lines you drag from the ruler)

yeppers, just made a selection of the area, duplicated it, ran some adjustments, filters, changed blend modes, etc... I can send you the psd if you want...

Having said that, when I think about it, the instructions at the top should see you there, (cause pretty much, once you have the outer area selected, you can just go nuts and the sky, and your vision, is the limit really) but I can go into more detail if you like :perfect:

Let me know and I'll send it to you, or post a small tute...

Back