What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Take the Survey

Yutosi

Power User
As we are coming from different parts of the world I think it would be very interesting and inspiring to see input and your strategies.
So if you feel like it please take some time to answer this survey.

Survey:
1- Other than Photoshop what other programs do you use?
2- Do you gain a living from a graphics career, artist, retoucher, designer, or instructor?
3- Do you think age is a main problem in starting a graphic career?
4- What do you care to include into your resume?
5- In your part of the world, would you tell us a little bit about the graphic community?
6- Do you prefer to work in a design company with a team of creative people or just go freelancing, or have experienced both?
7- Do you have a job interview strategies?
8- Have you made a career switch into graphics?

Ammar

[confused] Oh man, Ammaro, this is a "toughie"... [confused]

I was really looking for the (Y) and (N) format type of survey! ;\

Okay... let me be the first to take this survey and answer as best (and honestly) as I can...

1) If you mean graphics, outside of Photoshop, I'm currently only using Illustrator.
2) Trying... but NO!
3) No
4) apart from the standard stuff... Personal references & client testimonials
5) Highly competitive! It's not necessarily what you know or how good you are, but who you know!
6) Personally, from a design point of view, I think that I work best on my own... but I work equally as well as part of a creative team. It's just a "preference" thing.
7) Be yourself and never anything but...
8) Yes, from accounting to graphics!
9) Personality :D

1) For just graphics? XaraX, Flash, Rhino, C4D, Terragen.
2) Yes.
3) Only to those doing the hiring. I have no issues with this.
4) Anything i believe i can offer as a service.
5) Can't... i'm not 'hip' to any graphics communities.
6) I'd prefer a team environment. Currently i'm on my own.
7) Not really, no.
8) Yes... i switched from being a professional musician.
9) Isn't this the same question as #1?

Eh, what was question 9 anyways?
1- At the moment: Terragen , Gif constuction set pro , Pov-ray , Wings 3d , Escultor 2.0
2- no, but wish to in the future! [excited]
3- Yes and No, yes in terms of when the person that's going to hire you stereotypes you as you are this young, so you probably can't do or understand any of this stuff. And no in the terms of someone that is of a more older age (compared to me: 14) like 20 or above? They would definately be hired if they showed a intrest in what that boss had in mind.
4- learning from mistakes, and that's basically it (expierience)
5- What guassian said :D Noone over here has any imagination or any graphic intrests whatsoever, except for places near here, such as seattle, or canada, more people in those areas have a bit more intrest than over here.
6- I would prefer doing stuff mostly on my own (owning my own buisness), and mabee every once in a while teaming up on big projests (designing 3d structures for movies, animated charectars for games etc.)7- I actually haven't gotten many interviews at all yet, but when it comes, just say what comes out! :D (well, that's also a way to get fired!)
8- That's ganna be my first! Graphics and computers will never get away from me :D

1. Illustrator, Xara X, Cinema 4D, NeatImage, Sketchup, ACDSee, Terragen
2. No
3. No, but those who hire may think differently
4. Education and experience
5. I have no idea how the graphic community is in my area
6. I would prefer to work in a small group, would prefer my own buisness too.
7. To be myself
8. No, but I'm thinking about it

Alistair said:
5- What guassian said :D Noone over here has any imagination or any graphic intrests whatsoever
You quoted my earlier post, which I deleted. I wasn't talking about the community, I meant to say that I have no idea how the graphic community is in my area.

1. Procreate Painter, FreeHand, Bryce Carrara Studio
2. Depends on what you mean by "living" Yes, I do make money from graphics (web design). Yes, I still need a "day job"
3. No, not a main problem, but I can see that some people are hesitant in hiring a 15 year old. Not necessarily right but probably true.
4. Experience, willingness to learn new things, creativity.
5. What "graphics community?" :D
6. I think both experiences are good, but unless someone has a "design degree" most design companies won't hire. I do prefer freelancing, anyway.
7. No.
8. Thinking about it...I'm almost at the point of at least going part time in my day job and devoting time to my home business. Big step [confused]

(Edited; skipped a couple of questions)

1. Cinema 4D, Go Live, Terragen, Bryce, ACDSee
2. No
3. No
4. Education & Experience
5. I'm not aware that there is a graphic community here...lol.
6. I like working in a team.
7. I don't let people interview me...I interview THEM!
8. No, I've discovered that when I start getting paid for stuff it takes the fun out of it. This is ony a hobby for me.

1- Other than Photoshop what other programs do you use?Terregan, 3ds max,bryce
2- Do you gain a living from a graphics career, artist, retoucher, designer, or instructor?no
3- Do you think age is a main problem in starting a graphic career?uhh, no, im 14
4- What do you care to include into your resume?portfolio, samples, stuff about me
5- In your part of the world, would you tell us a little bit about the graphic community?dont relly know
6- Do you prefer to work in a design company with a team of creative people or just go freelancing, or have experienced both?ill try both
7- Do you have a job interview strategies?no
8- Have you made a career switch into graphics?no, i have never had a career.:p

1- Other than Photoshop what other programs do you use?
XaraX, MacromediaMXBundle, Cinema4D8, XFrog, Ultrafractal, Infinity Textures, some Photoshop plugins
2- Do you gain a living from a graphics career, artist, retoucher, designer, or instructor?
If I add all the bits and pieces together, I survive, yes. But I am mainly a Renaissance painter who got lost in time and who ends up in a digital age.
3- Do you think age is a main problem in starting a graphic career?
If you think it is, then it is. Question is going with the flow of life, not being rigid. The main problem with age is that people grow too careful.
4- What do you care to include into your resume?
Personal integrity, quality and mystery.
5- In your part of the world, would you tell us a little bit about the graphic community?
Loads of small, anxious and materialistic braggers who suppose that having is more important than being (BMW, mac,...)
6- Do you prefer to work in a design company with a team of creative people or just go freelancing, or have experienced both?
I have a talent to break up the best team due to unpredictable creative radioactivity. So I always end up doing things alone.
7- Do you have a job interview strategies?
No. I love what I do, and if the others don't, then they're free to disagree.
8- Have you made a career switch into graphics?
I have been an artist from before I was born. But computers will always stay a helping tool for my creativity. They will never take over power.

Back