What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thank You for Helping New Members

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
Hey guys, I just wanted to say thank you to all the people who have been taking the time to post and help our new members by answering their questions and assisting them with their images.

We do notice these things and it is appreciated very much.

We are working on a new awards system and will be giving out awards to the most helpful members, stay tuned for that.

iDad

Guru
that's cool Mr G........... bravo on PSG's part! you guys are doing a heck of job here lately!

KRF

Power User
Hey guys, I just wanted to say thank you to all the people who have been taking the time to post and help our new members by answering their questions and assisting them with their images.

We do notice these things and it is appreciated very much.

We are working on a new awards system and will be giving out awards to the most helpful members, stay tuned for that.

If you are on about the awards you can install on vB4 this is a good idea, and also will help with the user reputaion thread I posted in site sugestions :)

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
If you are on about the awards you can install on vB4 this is a good idea, and also will help with the user reputaion thread I posted in site sugestions :)

Yea that' the one... we are working on it :)

KRF

Power User
I know i prob shouldn't post in this thread as ive only been a member here for 24 hours but i noticed you mentioned vB. You guys do all the coding for the forum? I know a lot of people have techs setup there boards and maintain them, i run 2 different forums myself, i am currently using PHPBB and it's ok, i am thinking of going with a paid service like vB though...

KRF

Power User
I know i prob shouldn't post in this thread as ive only been a member here for 24 hours but i noticed you mentioned vB. You guys do all the coding for the forum? I know a lot of people have techs setup there boards and maintain them, i run 2 different forums myself, i am currently using PHPBB and it's ok, i am thinking of going with a paid service like vB though...

Most of the coding is done for you in vB, as it's setup to be user friendly,

This link will give you an idea of the thing's you get in vB4.
vBulletin-The Most Powerful Forum Software Available

I hope this help in some way

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
VB needs a lot of customization to get it working "properly", and IMO it's a bit difficult to work with. I personally think they need to do a major overhaul of the admin panel so that it's more organized... but I don't think they are planning to do that.

Other than the tremendous amount of time you will spend on customization and learning how to dig through the settings to find what you want to change, VB is solid.

IPB and SMF are also good alternatives.

PHPBB is not bad though, unless you have a specific issue with it I would just stick with what you have.

Yea, my only gripe is how SEO unfriendly phpbb is, it's pretty stable, you can install tons of MODS but styling phpbb can be a pain in the butt. I figured using vB wasn't just upload the scripts and files and install it, i don't think i know of any php based forum that you just install and everything is perfect, like you said they do take some tweaking...

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
I might break this out into a different thread.... because it's an interesting discussion.

Yea KR I know what you mean... I run a PHPBB forum also on a different site, and the SEO is not very good. With VB it's not good by default either, but i use VBSEO and it is tremendous... unfortunately it's not cheap but it makes a huge dufference. Maybe there's a similar mod for phpbb, I don't know.

In regards to customization my gripe with VB is not so much the amount of customization needed, but how cluttered and huge the admin area is.... so that when you need to change something you have 200 possible places to look for the setting. The PHPBB admin area is much cleaner IMO.

I might break this out into a different thread.... because it's an interesting discussion.

Yea KR I know what you mean... I run a PHPBB forum also on a different site, and the SEO is not very good. With VB it's not good by default either, but i use VBSEO and it is tremendous... unfortunately it's not cheap but it makes a huge dufference. Maybe there's a similar mod for phpbb, I don't know.

In regards to customization my gripe with VB is not so much the amount of customization needed, but how cluttered and huge the admin area is.... so that when you need to change something you have 200 possible places to look for the setting. The PHPBB admin area is much cleaner IMO.

Yea, i have looked at the script for vB before, i know vs. 2 was super bloated but they was supposed to fix that in 3 so it should be smooth sailing from vs. 3 and up as far as the bloat go's..

If you want to continue our discussion let me know where you move it to....