What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Programs I Mainly Use

Liberty1976

As I've stated in my introduction thread , I've learned to do some amazing stuff with software other than photoshop.

I mostly use GIMP , Affinity Photo , POLARR and MS Paint.

Since I joined this forum , I went to check out Ps and found that it requires a very expensive monthly or yearly membership fee.

What is it that makes Ps the industry standard? What can you do with it that other programs can't?

I'm not here to promote anything I would just like to know if its worth the money.

TonyCooper

Photoshop, Lightroom, and Bridge are available at $9.99 per month. Whether or not you consider that to be "very expensive" depends on your own circumstances.

You can download a free 30 day trial, but you may not be able to make much headway in mastering the program in 30 days. You can, however, subscribe at $9.99 a month and discontinue the subsscription at at any time with no penalty. There are many free online tutorials you can follow to learn how to use the program.

The "Why it's worth the money?" is something that is entirely based on what you want to do. If you are not able to do what you want with what you have, try the subscription program.

Liberty1976

Photoshop, Lightroom, and Bridge are available at $9.99 per month. Whether or not you consider that to be "very expensive" depends on your own circumstances.

You can download a free 30 day trial, but you may not be able to make much headway in mastering the program in 30 days. You can, however, subscribe at $9.99 a month and discontinue the subsscription at at any time with no penalty. There are many free online tutorials you can follow to learn how to use the program.

The "Why it's worth the money?" is something that is entirely based on what you want to do. If you are not able to do what you want with what you have, try the subscription program.

I'll probably check out the free trial but yeah, that is pretty expensive for me.

MentosCubing

Power User
I prefer Affinity Photo to Photoshop for most purposes, but there are some things that it can do which I cannot do with Affinity Photo.
Affinity Photo currently has no 3D features. Photoshop has some built in.
Affinity Photo has no animation/timeline/video support. Photoshop does.
However, Photoshop doesn't do either of those things particularly well. There are free softwares that do better 3D and animation than Photoshop does. Working with 3D stuff in Photoshop is weird and limited, so I wouldn't recommend it.
By far my favourite feature of Affinity Photo is that layer resizing is non-destructive by default, but all raster layers can still be directly edited. If you're used to that, Photoshop doesn't have it, so I wouldn't recommend switching.

Liberty1976

I prefer Affinity Photo to Photoshop for most purposes, but there are some things that it can do which I cannot do with Affinity Photo.
Affinity Photo currently has no 3D features. Photoshop has some built in.
Affinity Photo has no animation/timeline/video support. Photoshop does.
However, Photoshop doesn't do either of those things particularly well. There are free softwares that do better 3D and animation than Photoshop does. Working with 3D stuff in Photoshop is weird and limited, so I wouldn't recommend it.
By far my favourite feature of Affinity Photo is that layer resizing is non-destructive by default, but all raster layers can still be directly edited. If you're used to that, Photoshop doesn't have it, so I wouldn't recommend switching.

I found a 3D feature in Affinity. I don't know if it's the same as PS though. I've also found that putting an outer shadow behind something in an image makes it look like it's popping out of the background. Like the eagle pic in my Time and Space thread in the Show Your Work forum.

I know that you can make animations in gimp I just haven't figured it out yet. I would love to be able to make live wallpapers. I'll bet I could make a couple of dollars doing that somehow.