What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too Close (PS space painting techniques)

Raven

Power User
There's also a planetary tute on that site...here's an example of something that can be done using those tips...

Sean

Guru
Pretty good Raven.
I'm a big fan of Greg Martin, his space art is just spectacular! I've never seen the like.

Welles

Guru
Yep, Greg Martin's space techniques are special. It is very good of him to share them.

The nebula in your first one is fabulous, Raven. I spend the occasional hour going through the NASA picture of the day archives. It isn't too great a stretch to believe that there is a nebula out there which looks just like the one you've created. :perfect:

Sean

Guru
Yes, I like your nebula. But your planet (bottom pic) is very mediocre. It lacks texture, and correct lighting. Put some more colour in it too. The atmosphere needs more depth, it looks like the planet is dull and flat.
Well, thats my 2 cents, like your star field though. :D :perfect:

Raven

Power User
:D :rofl: Well, thanks guys. The planet one isn't special, it was the very first thing I'd ever tried in PS a couple of years ago when I started with PS LE. Yep! These are my very first PS images!

The planet doesn't have the texture everyone uses now as at that time I couldn't find it on the site, I was new to computers in all regards so even that was a problem, so I just used one of the standard brushes to make a slight texture instead.

That's how I started, this was the first tute I ever tried, and the truth is everything I've done since then in PS sprang from that one tute of the starfield and planet. The nebula was the SECOND thing I ever created in PS. :D So I was pretty enthusiastic with the progress I made in the next go. Since then I haven't done any other tutes, I played a bit with the method Moth used for his gigerish images and did a few of those but that's it, I just haven't gotten around to any others, nor have I spent any time with the PS manual. I just took what I learned from the star tute and went from there with what I wanted to do. The Eye of the Wild image was the next thing after that.........I've since just taught myself by doing. ;)

Sean

Guru
Didn't know those were your first EVER PS pics, raven. Those are very good for works for first ever! :perfect:

nor have I spent any time with the PS manual. I just took what I learned from the star tute and went from there with what I wanted to do.

Me neither Raven, I just taught my self the basics then started messing around and experamenting. Then I did all the tuts I could get my hands on.

Raven

Power User
;) Yeah, they are the first ones (so I leave them as is), and it's why I post the tute link because I think it offers an interesting beginning and encourages trying and experimenting, and gives a lot more to work with than maybe one would think at first. At this point I use PS probably in some unconventional ways because of the experimenting approach I learned with -- and because I started with vector app XaraX only a short while before that (also created my own methods for making fur and other shadings others didn't think could be done in vectors)...I guess I've rather developed my own methods in preference because they contribute to imagery that isn't duplicated easily in tute steps and are different. And the tutes are always there if I need a certain fx for lettering or some other particular use, so I could dig them up when needed.

SnowDog

Hi Raven

Your nebula is great! One of the better ones I have ever seen.
I am gonna have to take some time to try this.

SnowDog

Moth

Power User
Good reminder of a great technique. Thanks Raven!

Raven

Power User
:D Thanks Snowdog! I hope you do explore the tute, it's lots of fun and creative.

:D Thanks, Moth -- ya gotta get your giger-one out too, people are missing out not playing with that one, and it's so amazing what can be created with the ideas in it. B7

theKeeper

Guru
Yeah, dang it that's where those tutes are. I couldn't recall the url. Thanks for reposting that. :perfect:

Excellent nebula Raven, nice detail.

Guys' i'm gonna post a note in the News board that i've decided to turn off board pruning for the Campfire board. At least for a long while. I didn't realize it was getting 'snipped' THAT closely. And now that i'm on my own server with oodles of space, i'm not going to be as concerned about the boards getting too large.

So... if anyone wants to startup something in the Campfire board, you won't have to worry about it not being around in a week. It'll be there for a long time now. :B

Raven

Power User
:perfect: :} :} :} :D Hey Mark, that's WONDERFUL NEWS!!! The campfire threads really charge up the place and it's great to see the involvement and fun they generate. Glad you can allow this now for us. 8D 8))