What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

transfer plugins from cs to cs2

boydphoto

i just got cs2, and would like to simply move my plugins to it, rather than d/l them all over again. can i? how do i? thanks, boyd.

Open up your C drive>Program files>Adobe>Photoshop CS>Plug-ins. You can either drag them over to the CS2 Plug-in folder individually or, if your sure you will never use PSCS again, just take the whole Plug-in folder over to CS2 and replace it with the one that's there.

thanks,lee. i tried that and got nowhere... i probably have corrupted my cs2 somehow, it's doing weird things. i will re-install it and then do as you suggest. thanks again, boyd.

Hi Boyd! :D

I tried that with a few plugin's myself, just dragging.. didn't work on some. I gave up and ended up digging out the disks and reinstalling them.

That was no help at all, was it? :rofl: I just saw your post and wanted to say *hi* mainly.

Long time no typey. [honesty]

No, Lee. Moving original Photoshop plug-in folders in not a good idea. Also it is not good to use the preferences to point to the old Photoshop plug-in folder: ther would be two gaussian blur, one maybe more optimized than the old version, etc...

The best habit is to create a separate folder, even outside of the plug-in folder, and install your third party plug-ins in there (or moving them there in this case *) that way, when a new version of Photoshop comes out, you just point Photoshop to that folder, using edit>preferences >plug-ins and scratch disk.

When I was a pluginaholic, Iused to have several plug-ins folders: useful to load only certain plug-ins, for faster loading, etc.

*some plug-ins have to be installed (they add entries in the registry, install other files, so you may not be able to just drag the .8Bf file to the new folder

Wow, thanks sPECtra. I never thought about having two of the native PS plug-ins. Why is boydphoto having trouble just dragging individual plug-ins into his folder then? That is the way I originally installed mine. None of them were on a CD - they all were paid for and downloaded from the net. I then just expanded the zip and dragged the plug-in into the PS folder. I have never had trouble with any of them not working and I have about 9.

i ahve all the plug ins installed in a folder seperate to photoshop... then when i upgraded from cs to cs2 all i had to do was point the plug ins folder in the preferances section to my usual folder...

you could install cs 2 and keep the old on then point your plug ins folder to teh same as teh one in cs... then simply delet the old cs folders except teh plug ins, that way they will still be registered in your pcs regfiles

Back