What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transparency???

kimms83

Okay Mozart, here we go again, lol....
I forgot to ask this awhile back, it was actually one of the first things I needed/wanted to know. How do I make a background transparent? For example I made a document with just my name...Kim. I don't want there to be a rectangular/square or ANY kind of background...just that word, nothing around it, nothing behind it. How do I do that? Before you answer... I've tried it by putting the document settings at "background>transparent". But when I came across it in my documents folder, it had a background around it. I've thought about selecting the word, and putting it onto a new, "transparent" document, but it doesn't seem to me that would help if it doesn't work when you set the background to transparent on the ORIGINAL and having it not turn out. Don't know what to do???

well you almost have it right there. when you set the background to transparent make sure to get rid of the colour of the background-basically when you set that function the colour still stays there as a part of the image so-select and press delete(clear)... but be careful when selecting-just avoid the sharp edging...

Photoshop always shows a background of some sort, a transparent background is automatically displayed as a checkerboard. The thing is that the checkerboard doesn't actually exist, it's just a place holder.

When you start a document set your Background Contents to Transparent, it will come up with a document full of the aforementioned checkerboard (if it doesn't, press ctrl+a and then ctrl+x), put your text in, and then save it as a .png (I just say that, because I'm positive that a .png will support transparency, there are probably others.)

Just to make sure, here's the document in photoshop:
ps.png

and here it is saved out:
final.png

Look again!!!

Okay- So THAT is what I had already done- MOZART - and it didn't work.... so the problem could actually be the file type I saved it as. 10xs/10 I save things as a jpeg (since I have no legitimate knowledge on file types, lol). So THAT could be my problem? I'm gonna try it right now, save as a png and see. BUT one more ?.... will I have any trouble displaying a png file online at all? What I've been doing is making graphics for people's Myspace profiles, that's why I was wondering. I mean do I have to do anything extra? (I said I had no knowledge as far as file types remember =P) Thanks a lot guys...Kimms :)

That was your problem, Jpeg's don't support transparency so they just fill in the BG with white when saved. As far as MySpace is concerned, I'm not really sure (I'm still a facebook guy) but I can't see a reason why you would have a problem. Every site that I've seen that accepts image uploads has at the minimum allowed JPG's PNG's and GIF's.

Back