What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transparent pen path for svg export

Earendil86

Hello,

I'm trying to convert a trace of an object into a transparent vector drawing which I can then import into MS Visio for laser printing on material. There used to be someone who did this in my company for tool outlines. Essentially we would trace a tool and scan into a pdf. This person would use photoshop and/or illustrator to turn it into an svg file which visio can use.

The current image that I'm using resembles a U. I scanned the image into PDF. imported it into Photoshop, cleaned the background into black and white then used the PEN tool to trace the object into a path. I brought the path over into illustrator and saved as a .svg file, however, when I import it into Visio the part inside the "U" is filled with white. How do I remove the inside white portion so it is a transparent line image?

Thanks!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello. An image or a file is worth a thousand words and could save us all a lot of time. If you transferred a clean path over into Illustrator, there should be no remnant of the original background.

Aakshat

Power User
Select your object with direct selection tool.

1.png

Set stroke color and thickness.

2.png

And select fill to none

3.png

and your object will have transparent background

Untitled-2.png

p.s. i'll suggest to trace it directly in illustrator instead of first tracing it in photoshop and than bring it into illustrator.