What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transparnet background Help

BaldEagle

I've been using PS CS4 casually for years. Now I need some help, please.

I thought when I got rid of a background in PS (as shown in the first jpg, the background of the layer, when overlaid on another layer in a Word label, would be transparent. But as in the second jpg, it has a white background. How do I get rid of the white and make the logo transparent?

And thanks in advance for any help.

Photoshop Image.jpg

Word Label.jpg

Hello and welcome.

In what format are you saving the logo after removing the background?

PNG will preserve transparency. You can also use GIF, BMP, TIFF.

TYhe logo came in from a designer. I saved it as a tif but that didn't preserve the transparency. Can't save as a png.
Thanks

Hi BaldEagle
A couple things.
1) I noticed that you image is in CMYK mode. That is quite unusual and would suggest converting the mode to RGB. It may or may not help your problem (I don't have CS4 anymore so can't check directly) yet at least in CS4, PNGs only preserve transparency if in RGB or grayscale mode (not sure about TIFF files)
2) PS CS4 certainly can save PNG files with Save As command or in the Save for Web dialog. So not sure if I understand your statement about "can't save as a PNG."

CS4 is pretty dated yet there is an online help file that is archived by Adobe (not sure for how long it will be there so you might want to download locally) as a PDF file and quite searchable on ways to save to PNG format and for TIFF: http://help.adobe.com/archive/en_US/photoshop/cs4/photoshop_cs4_help.pdf

Hope this info and link help you out some
John Wheeler

Thank you guys. Changing to RGB allowed me to save the file as a .png which makes the background transparent.

How about that. Did not realize those limits of PNGs before. Glad you got it working
John Wheeler

Back