What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble with fur filter

Sammy

Hello! I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum. I looked around and tried to see which forum this would fit in best. Some of the other forums seemed totally dead, so I decided to try this here.

I'm trying to make a semi-realistic image of an animal for a site mascot. For the fur, I picked up "Alien Skin Eye Candy 5: Textures."

I started out by drawing the image with vector paths To get the fur to "lay" realistically on the image, I cut the paths into smaller sections that would allow me to apply the fur filter in different directions.

I ran into a problem, though:
fur.png

As you can see, the fur doesn't "mesh" well together. There are noticeable lines running around the edge of each path. Changing the order of the paths (bringing certain ones up front, putting certain ones behind) helps a little bit, but even fiddling around with that still leaves a bit of noticeable separation.

Any ideas how I can fix this? I figure, I could probably do a ton of manual retouching to cover up those lines, but adjusting the fur filter or applying additional filters to get them to blend together would be easier and would help a lot for making adjustments so I can get it all to look as good as possible.

For what it's worth, I'm actually using Fireworks right now. I assume the filter behaves the same in both applications. If someone comes up with a solution that would only work in Photoshop I can move the project over to it. I'm just more comfortable with Fireworks in general. No biggie.

Thanks so much!

Back